Looking for first bike - Suzuki Marauder 125cc?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Hey,

I'm looking to purchase my first bike (leaner) and there is a y reg (2001) Suzuki Marauder 125cc in the classifieds and was wondering whether anybody has had any experience of these motorbikes?

My dad has seen them before and he is a bit dubious about the big rear wheel, can anyone comment on this?

Cheers for any advice!
Asa

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Hi Asa
The Maraurder isn't a bad bike if that is the style of thing you're looking for. They are nice and stable and the rear wheel actually can help low speed manouvering (a bit like the van van) We had one at the volunteer bike school i teach at. As it's a suzi, it should be well made (far better than some of the korean and chinese imports these days).
When you're looking at the bike, check for any obvious damage, deep scratches on the engine casing, bent handle bars etc, as this can indicate a heavy drop. Also, if you can, run a straight edge along the length of the bike on the ground and sight along it to see that the chassis is straight (or you can park it along side a kerb).
Good for you for getting out there, biking can be a great way of getting mobile and for most of us, it becomes a passion for life. But make sure you get proper tuition and don't rush things.
If you need any more advice, just drop me a line.

Cheers

Baggins

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I would get the cheapest you can find,because as soon as you pass your test you'll be looking for a bigger one.In this financial climate you may find it difficult to re-sell the 125 for anywhere near what you paid for it.
Regarding the large rear wheel a friend of mine had a van van this too has a large rear wheel,he said it didn't feel any different to any other bike he'd owned but it did look a lot different.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
I have one, love it ;) get about 90 to the gallon, mine's an 08 model, hadn't been on it since October and last week it started first time. Not very powerful and if yer a fatty :D rubbish up the hills, I've had 65 mph out of it, been down to Sumerset and back in the p****ng down rain with no probs whatsoever and carried a load of fishing gear and clobber on it.

march407.jpg

Last edited:

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Unfortunately the bikes gone! I kinda liked the look of it as well!

Anybody know any decent learner legal bikes for sale near St Austell? :D

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I have a honda s-wing I bought it for going back and forth work......the week before I retired.It's sat outside the house now and only goes out for a run now and again.It's the most fun you can have on a sunny day,it does 70 flat out and cruises at 60 all day.I know it's not a "motorbike but I love it.Have you thought about a cheap scooter or maybe hiring one for lessons and test?That way you won't have to lay out for a bike that you'll need to sell to get what you really want.

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
dont you have to learn on a 50 cc first ?
you did when i got my licence (80s).
16yr old = learner bike up to 50cc
17yr plus = any learner bike up to 125cc

This was the rule in the 80's. My first bike was a 90cc and I waited until my 17th birthday for it. As far as I know this hasn't changed. Today you can learn on a 125cc if over 17. The exception is if you're on a Direct Access course where you learn on a 500cc once you have passed the CBT on a 125cc.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
16yr old = learner bike up to 50cc
17yr plus = any learner bike up to 125cc

This was the rule in the 80's. My first bike was a 90cc and I waited until my 17th birthday for it. As far as I know this hasn't changed. Today you can learn on a 125cc if over 17. The exception is if you're on a Direct Access course where you learn on a 500cc once you have passed the CBT on a 125cc.

The official information is here, it's more or less as nigeltm says but as the government is involved it's a bit more complicated:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/RidingMotorcyclesAndMopeds/DG_4022568
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/WhatCanYouDriveAndYourObligations/DG_4022547

Asa, most of my family have been bikers. Back in the 1960s, when I and my cousins learned to ride, it didn't matter what bike it was, we just got on (and fell off) whatever we could get hold of. It doesn't need to be flash or expensive, it just has to meet the regulations and go. I'm sure whatever you get you'll love it.

I've done around half a million miles on motorcycles, I've toured most of Europe and I often travel from England to the Mediterranean coast on a bike. I have an advanced riding qualification and I currently own four bikes. Riding a bike is a real pleasure, the freedom it gives you is incomparable.

But please always remember that riding a motorcycle is the most dangerous thing that you can do in peacetime. A single mistake can all too easily leave you in a wheelchair for the rest of your life. When we were learning, my youngest cousin put himself in hospital so many times we all said we were going to buy season tickets. He broke his back once but he got away with it. It might not even be you that makes the mistake. Just over ten years ago, while I was on my Hayabusa, waiting at a red traffic light on the A38, the guy behind me ran over my bike with a Transit van. Fortunately I noticed early on in the proceedings and jumped off the bike before he managed to get me. A couple of people have tried to knock me off a bike deliberately, for no reason I could fathom, and a van driver in France threw his door open into my path (he thought it would take me off the bike, but the 250kg bike took off his door). When I was 19 a little old lady in Brighton threatened me with her brolly because I was wearing leathers. She said they didn't want horrible people like me in her town.

Take your time. When you're on a bike, think of yourself as invisible. Keep your wits about you, and make sure that you're always in control of the situation -- never the other way around. Go on as many courses as you can, there are loads of free ones that are well worth spending your time on. If you can, try to get on courses run by the police. I've ridden with many, and there are no better riders anywhere in the world than in our police force.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE