looking for buckskin

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
I cannot help you now but if you or anybody wants skins i can give you them i shoot roe and reds so not sure what the actual hide will be like but i have tanned before for using the winter coats for dry flies for fishing i have a chamois and a tahr hung up in the house after a trip to NZ

I cannot help you now but if you or anybody wants skins i can give you them i shoot roe and reds so not sure what the actual hide will be like but i have tanned before for using the winter coats for dry flies for fishing i have a chamois and a tahr hung up in the house after a trip to NZ
That would be most helpful I'll bear it in mind for future reference
Tandy have deer and elkskin, if that's any help.
Yeah that's great info ta

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
If you fancy a drive to Kent next month there's usually a largish dealer's tent/stall at Military Odyssey supplying lots of different types of leather to the old western re-enactors.
Try googling for these re-enactor group's forums for more info.
I know nothing about leather but the tent certainly smells lovely.
Happy trails...torc.

leon-1

Sam is this for making moccasins??

With brain tanned you're gonna want slightly thicker than modern commercially tanned, you can get away with about 4 ounce or 1.5mm with a chrome tanned leather. With brain tanned then you want between 5 and 7 ounce or 2 - 3mm ideally mate (well 2 - 2.8mm to be exact). I have made moccasins in 10 ounce in the past, but they are a nightmare to push through on the turn shoe style that I normally make.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I got the same idea, would liek something light for camp work, and also fun thing for the Boone weekend.. I ve got some 1.5mm veg tan that I thought about using....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE