Looking for advice

Aug 9, 2010
Midlands
Hi all

Im looking for advice in putting together a "stranded" or "get me home" kit

I work in Rutland and i travel some 20 miles from Leicester everyday along the back roads.

Last years snow caught me out and I got stranded with no gear and with totally unacceptable clothing. I dont want to go through that again and im determined to assemble a contingency kit for my vehicle and get some training in how to use the shiney new stuff. I want to avoid the all the gear no idea situation, so what I need is some advice on the following:

Car kit:

A basic set up that includes basics I should be carrying for a stay until rescued situation

A basic change of clothes and footwear kit that should i need to dump the motor and walk out will help me avoid almost dying of hypothermia. So stupid

Im thinking a pack to be kept in the car that holds:

A change of clothing / footwear
A some long term food, MRE, trail mix, energy bars
Some way to heat the food

My thinking kind of trails of here, so any advice would be great

I cant believe i did what I did last year and I ciount myself extremly lucky. I wont be relying on luck anymore.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I have a 60 mile commute which s mostly motorway but also 20 miles of hilly country roads. I'm never far enough away from civilisation to get into trouble but I do carry a few bits in case I get stuck.

2 x WW2 army blankets
3L bottle of water
Innova microlight torch
Choccy bars (these need replenishing from time to time though :) )
Army folding spade
Crux copy, gas cannister and pot
Cup-a-soups

Just enough to sit it out for a while really, if I can I'd prefer to put on the Mucks and walk home.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Sell car, buy landrover :)

Are you going to adjust it seasonally or have a complete kit for any occurrence?

For safety I'd get one of those high vis vests, probably in a large enough size so it can fit over any amount of clothing.
Assuming a lengthy walk or stay in the car you want a torch that will last a long time but will also be bright enough for a walk in the dark.
Spare phone battery or charger?
Hand warmer?
It might be worth getting a foil blanket and a basic FAK on the go too.

Aug 9, 2010
Midlands
Im a surveyor so Hi viz jacket and vest are sorted, I carry an energeriser led headlorch witrh a spare set of batterys in case I blow a tyre.
Ive also got a small first aid kit but its basically a boo boo kit

Re: Battery charger / phone charger Ive been looking at those emergency chargers that take AA batterys, I think energiser do one.
Re: Cooker would a crusader set be suitable, id rather not keep LPG or meths in the car as im planning on this being a year round kit
Re: Handwarmer good idea ill get one
Re: Blankets im assuming the WW2 blankets are 100% wool

I would love a landy with full zombie apocolyse regalia but the Mrs says no :( damn you global warming !

Good ideas guys keep em coming

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
For an emergency food source, I'd say that you couldn't go far wrong with a 24 hour rat pack and a hexy burner, together with a water bottle and a cooking container (e.g. crusader cup, mess tin). Plenty of calories, and the pack lasts for ever (unless you eat it!).

Geoff

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Im looking for advice in putting together a "stranded" or "get me home" kit

Good man. So many people live their lives totally insulated from the real world, until they let it kill them. I honestly think we'd run the place a whole lot better if we all knew what it was about instead of worrying about little other than what the neighbours think.

In the situation you describe I think stay until rescue would probably be safer than attempting to make it under your own steam, and less likely to consume emergency resources unnecessarily. Being able to communicate with someone is very important. You can get chargers for mobile telephones which you wind up like clockwork, so you're not relying on alkaline, secondary or the vehicle batteries.

Stay until rescued means:

1. Tell somebody capable of arranging a rescue that you need to be rescued and where you are.
2. Survive until the rescue arrives in your vicinity.
3. Make sure that you can be found when it gets there.

You seem to be doing the right things. For the sort of timescales that you're talking about I'd question if it's necessary to be able to heat food, but there's no question that a hot meal and a brew can lift the spirits and that can be important. How important depends largely on your outlook. I could carry a lot of food for the weight of the British army petrol stove + fuel that I keep in the Jeep but I carry the food as well. :) In a pinch the stove can use the fuel in the Jeep's tank so in interesting times I keep that well topped up. There are stoves that will run on diesel if they have to. Blankets have been recommended, I also carry a sleeping bag because you can close a bag up to keep out the draughts. Learn the signals which will be recognized by the emergency services and carry ways to make them (torches, whistle, mirror, roll of orange plastic, strobe light, flint/steel/matches...). In deep snow you might need to fabricate a flag on a pole so a collapsible fishing rod might come in handy. If you're stuck in snow then you have all the water you need but you need means to collect it. A little kit of cooking pans will do that.

Before you leave, tell someone where you're going, when you expect to get there, and what to do if you don't. You could rehearse that over the next several months, if the wife is that someone and she knows just how much danger you faced when things went wrong last time I'm sure she'll play along. If she doesn't know yet, you might want to break it to her gently. :)

There are numerous survival guides that you can get in bookshops, some more readable than others. I have one by Wiseman but it's so old now that I don't see it here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=ntt_a...as=books-uk&field-author=John 'Lofty' Wiseman

Last edited:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I have a mate who drives the snow plough when it becomes necessary - his major gripe is cars abondoned in deep drifts and left to be covered by even more snow - he drives the plough until crunch, oops!
So my suggestion would be some marker tape to prevent any damage should it be necessary to leave your car!

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE