Looking for advice on large carving hatchet by GB

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mikey.elefant

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
israel
Does any one own one of these ? Can you post a pic in hand ? Any feedback as a general purpose carving hatchet ?

I'm really interested in knowing if the carved handle is worth the diff in price when compared to wildlife hatchet, essentially the same Axe ???

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I owned ( and regularly used-there's a difference!)a wildlife hatchet for quite a few years. It was an excellent light duty tool and while it was okay for light roughing out, it wasn't a good carving tool, mainly due to the lack of weight.
The lack of weight means that you actually end up tired when using the light weight hatchet to carve, because you have to put more effort into hitting the wood with the tool, rather than just concentrating on lifting the tool and allowing its own weight and gravity to do most of the labour,this in turn can lead to slips and potential injury.

This "carving hatchet" looks exactly the same as the wildlife version to me, apart from the handle! Seriously, I'd think twice before paying over £80 for one of them.

If you want a good carving tool, buy a GB carving axe seen here:
[video=youtube;mAthW-2IjsI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAthW-2IjsI[/video]
I was somewhat doubtful about using the GB carving axe for this course, thinking it would be too big and ungainly, if not actually dangerous. I was quickly proven completely wrong, with the only injuries in the group being the odd small nick from the frosts 106 carving knives.

Everyone used the GB Carving axe during this weekend project, they really are excellent and well and truly fit for purpose although sadly at £97 or thereabouts, like all GB's products these days, way over priced :rolleyes:

best wishes

Steve

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
I use my wildlife hatchet a lot for carving, and while it works well on small stuff like spoons I have to agree with Rancid Badger that it lacks weight. You`ll notice this most when carving larger things like bowls and cups, and try to get through chunks of end grain.

I would not pay extra money for the handle on the 'large carving hatchet'. Mainly because the handle on the wildlife hatchet works really well for me and I do not see what the curved handle adds to the functionality. When cash allows it I want to get me a heavier carving axe like the GB carver though, for exactly the reasons stated above.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
You could pick up a cheap kent pattern axe/axe head at a boot sale, recondition it and fit a helve to suit your preferences an maybe still have change from a tenner. that way you not only have the suitable tool, but a very personal one too. Lots of information about doing just that on this and other crafty forums.

Here's a link to an excellent article by Robin Wood http://www.robin-wood.co.uk/wood-craft-blog/2010/12/14/how-to-make-a-new-axe-handle/

Apparently the GB carver was based on old kent pattern heads that had become worn back toward the front by continuous sharpening, giving them that curved edge shape.

Dave

Last edited:

mikey.elefant

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
israel
Thanks martin. I wish I had the opportunity of a car boot sale, at the moment I am in CO US and none of those here - probably no kent patterns anywhere either.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE