Looking for advice for engagement / wedding ring carving wood...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hutch

Feb 11, 2013
Portishead
Hi,

I'm looking for a good wood to carve into a wedding ring. My girlfriend doesn't wear any jewellery, and doesn't like metal next to her skin. I want to carve her a wooden ring to serve as a symbol, and wouldn't intend for it to be durable enough for every-day use.

So.. what suggestions do you have for wood type? I'm thinking that when I've used holly for firewood it's been very hard and seemingly very white. Does anyone know how it seasons? Is there a whiter wood that anyone can think of that I might be able to search for in the West Country or buy in blocks?

I'm guessing that a wood with a very fine grain or complex grain like walnut might be best for strength while being worked? A cousin once showed me some bog wood which seemed very very dense and hard but was pitch black in colour, and I think I want to use a very white wood.

I have no previous experience with wood carving, but reckon I can do it given enough practice :)

Thanks!

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
I made an engagement ring for SWMBO out of rose and made it into a necklace. Did it out of a knuckle where a stem was growing out. The knot from that has kind of become the stone. It started off as a very white wood, but has mellowed. If I can get it off her I'll try and get a picture.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't know what woods would carve finely enough, and soundly enough, for a ring, but how about also considering stone ?
The native stones that carve finely into rings and bangles are mostly dark, but serpentinite does come in very pale green. It would be lovely for a ring.

If darker is fine, well folks have been using jet and cannel coal to make rings, bangles and beads since at least the early bronze age in the British Isles. http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-036-600-C

Amber too shapes well :)
imgp2635.jpg

cheers,
Toddy

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I suspect ivory might work out better than wood. And yes, there are still ivories that are legal (just not elephant ivory)

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
I've carved a few rings from juniper in the past. Worked very well (at least with the very slow growing juniper in the mountains over here.
It's close to 20 years ago, so unfortunately no pics.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
I think I'd go for walnut but be very selective, I've carved a few small items with walnut and it can be taken down really thin and also remains strong without cracking at room temps

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
If you can get hold of a piece of old mature holly and use the heartwood, away from knots and flaws, it is extremely durable, takes on a beautiful ivory colour over time and has a very tight grain and carves very well indeed - but it is very hard when seasoned well. You'd need to source something that's been down for at least 5 or 6 years........I probably have a lump somewhere you could have a go with..............sometimes, if you're very lucky, pieces take on a rose colour but there's no way that I know of to tell which bits will "rose up"...............and you'll need top tools with very good edges to get the detail; I used to use holly a lot years ago in the making of top-quality driving whips and it can be very rewarding if you get it right..............hope this helps, atb mac

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
That is one heck of a nice ring Timber wolf, may I ask to contribute to this discussion the preferred method to producing one of those lookers?
And I also wanted to put in here, might you not find a wood species white enough, You could of course go towards Bone which you can find as white as you can possibly get.
And perhaps easier to get a more durable piece out of as you wouldnt have as much with grains and burls
Yours sincerely

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
5unesyba.jpg
hysahygy.jpg
. Quickly made this one for a friend as his engagement rings didn't turn up on the day he planned to propose . I made this one out of pine and Yes its fragile but it's ment as a keep sake . My only advice is don't go for a obvious angle in the grain. As in straight in any way it seems to split them so easily instead go diagonally . And slowly. Use google search for a print out of a ring sizer as it helps alot

Paddytray .;

TomBartlett

Spoon worrier
Jun 13, 2009
Madison, WI
www.sylvaspoon.com
Similar to mountainm I've used wood a similar diameter to the ring, that way you end up with a ring that made up of a couple of growth rings, which, in my experience has turned out stronger than other options. I've made rings out of oak, hawthorn, sycamore, holly, ash and cherry. I think holly or hawthorn were my favourites. Sycamore gives the whitest wood out of those however.
rings.jpg

From left to right the rings are hawthorm, sycamore, oak and ash.

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
Hawthorn is a lovely tight grain to work and weathers to a lovely colour. Holly is a little softer and paler but is also a nice tight grain. Elder is another favorite of mine although larger sections are a bit tempermental when trying to dry. The smaller trees that are of little interest to the timber dealers are a good selection of woods for carving and turning

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE