Looking for a long sleeve / collared base layer for Summer use

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Pretty much what the title says. Went out for a wander up near Aberfoyle the other day and my goodness the midgies are out! And they LOVE me. It sucks having to cover up so much but I've found it the best way to deal with them. If I'm not careful I get absolutely destroyed, I was only out for about 3 hours and I counted 57 bites this morning

What I'd really like is a long sleeve base layer that is long enough to tuck in, and has a zipped collar (1/4 or 1/3 zip would be best) , and isn't too hot for Summer. From initial searchings most are either super dark (black!) or don't have very high neck cover. Even better would something with thumb holes on the sleeves.

Any thoughts guys?

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Good timing, stoping at Aberfoyle on weds on our way up to Skye. Don't normally head up this late in the season (more Autumn, winter, early spring), so will have to pack the mozzie gear then.
Have a look at Ice Breaker, Rohan, or Aclima light wool for a start. i also wash in pine tar soap, and that seems to help a bit.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have one of the old generation (last year's) Core Silver tops by Rohan. Worn in New Zealand as anti-sun / anti sand fly, and it worked well. The only thing is that after a couple of days, it did smell worse than I would like, but a LOT less than the untreated synthetic tops I have tried. Generally, synthetic base layer tops and me don't get on well, but the addition of silver makes them workable. This thing is meant specifically to keep you cooler in warm weather, and while I can't say whether the mineral content helped, it certainly wicked and cooled well.

http://www.rohan.co.uk/mens-travel-and-outdoor-tshirts-and-tops-Core-Silver-Zip-LS?ocode=03884559

The neck isn't all that high, so I used one of the insect repellent Buffs to augment it and that seemed to work very well, and was not too hot.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Good timing, stoping at Aberfoyle on weds on our way up to Skye. Don't normally head up this late in the season (more Autumn, winter, early spring), so will have to pack the mozzie gear then.
Have a look at Ice Breaker, Rohan, or Aclima light wool for a start. i also wash in pine tar soap, and that seems to help a bit.

Yes please do. I was kicking myself as I hadn't packed head net, bug spray or even a pair of gloves!

http://www.nordiclife.co.uk/collections/mens-base-layers/products/brynje-arctic-zip-polo-3-4-neck

Spot on apart from the price and dark colour. Merino wool is always nice but I'd be quite happy with cotton or polypro.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
A linen shirt with mandarin collar would fit the bill; does the trick for me and cool as a cucumber in Summer.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
A Rohan bush shirt will cost a bit, but mine has been hammered and is still good fifteen years on. Great bit of kit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE