looking for a knife - shaped like a creasing iron

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I was at the viking festival today and someone doing carved jet/amber used an unusually-shaped knife.

It was a bit like a creasing iron in shape, with a flared curved end, almost like a half moon. The edge was at the end.

Would really like to get something similar, but single bevel. Would be great for lettering and similar stuff.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Sounds like a type of chip carving knife - one of these maybe?
Hi-carbon%20steel%20blade%2010%20big.jpg

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Getting close, mountainman but this had a fantastic long curve which provided a fantastic point. The girl who had the knife showed how she used the point to carve dimples in the end of beads before putting them on a bow lathe.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I can't help but wonder if the tool was a fishtail gouge, originally intended for wood carving?
Much in the design of the tools that Dave Budd posted (#8).

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Got the shape
Take second axehead down in this pic, make head tip to tip under 2" and widen the 'neck/tang' as appropriate. Stick in a basic handle.

I have a bit of old circular saw blade somewhere, might try cutting something out of that and grinding an edge on it, see how the shape works out in use.

1528d9f7abb5daef3a2df3ea97cd401a.jpg

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
now you mention it with the axe picture, I do remember seeing the tool you mean in a medieval picture of a leather worker. It looked like a smaller round knife with a longer handle (say 3" edge and 6" handle). I assumed it as just a round or head knife

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
There are similar knives available now for carpet and leather workers - they sharpen a hook into the 'back' of the blade, for use when ripping out seams.

I'll try one in the mild steel I have, just to see if the shape works out. Then consider better quality. Might take me a month or two, my grinder and vice aren't even mounted on a bench.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE