Looking for a good tree identifcation book

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stevemreid

Nov 27, 2007
Ayr
I've got a Collins gem book on Trees but im looking for something a bit more concise for the house. I really like the way thistree id website works:

http://www-saps.plantsci.cam.ac.uk/trees/intro2.htm

It ID's your tree by asking if the leaf is linear or roundish, opposite or alternate, toothed or toothless - it makes it really simple to ID what you have.

Ideally the book im looking for would have a similar way to identify the trees/shrubs.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Steve

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
THIS is the best one I have so far seen, I have a copy of it and its brilliant.
51FVCA6VWML._SS500_.jpg

Perhaps not set out the way you want but boy does it cover some ground.

Its not pocket sized though, depends on if that matters to you, I have a Larouse field guide which I feel is a lot better field guide than a Collins Gem, only slightly bigger and much simpler to use with more information as well.
51c4e9vbTrL._SS500_.jpg

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
Just put the collins compete guide to british trees book on my christmas list, looks a great book.I have the compete guide to british wildlife already and that is great book,would love to have them all !!!

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Another vote for this one

51FVCA6VWML._SS500_.jpg

It comes in hard and soft back. I'd recommend the soft cover myself because it's easier to work with when you're out.

stevemreid

Nov 27, 2007
Ayr
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I've written them down and will visit a few bookshops in the city to check them out if in stock. Will update with the one that I choose.

Thanks again,

Steve

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
The Owen Johnson book is superb and idents the trees from very good drawings thus avoiding words such as serrate, glabrous etc which many find confusing.

An older book that I have is Alan Mitchells 'Field Guide to Trees Of Britain and Northern Europe' that keys out the tree in the way you describe, ie, buds opposite, greyish green, leaf partially serrate, glabrous etc.

It's worth having them both for their different approach.

Roger Phillips for my "reference book at home". For work and in the field I get on really well with Dorling Kindersley-Trees-Allen J. Coombes. Small, really well laid out with your leaf ID key you like and has most of the trees you will come across. The only one that isn't in there that I've come across is the Goat Willow.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE