Looking for a felling axe recommendation, something better than Gränsfors?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

VikingGirl

Mar 23, 2016
Gent
So cheap you can afford to abuse them as well. I use a small one for all sorts of things on my allotment, it is good for cutting down small trees, and I really have no business to be cutting down anything bigger, that would be a job for a tree surgeon :)

No plastic axes! Only proper axes with a handle you can replace yourself in case of misfortune! Bushcraft people!

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I have the Swedish army axe (SAA) which I got 2 hand and it does me proud the only problem is i have not seen any for sale in ages, but there is an alternative and yes it is a GB but it is the Scandinavian axe it is the same size and around the same weight. lighter than the felling axe but bigger than the SFA which is too small IMHO for a real work easily (too much of a compromise on length. I follow Mors's advice and it has kept me good), I have cut down a few trees with it now took me a while to break it's cherry (I was still admiring it Johnboy) but it does work. I still think i prefer my SAA which I think has a better shaped head.

Saying just that though I have found some for sale from here :http://www.militarymart.co.uk/swedish-army-axe-genuine.html
which is were I got my last one and I have just placed an order for another (just in case).

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Have you ever used a boy's axe? They are a 3/4 axe, with a shorter handle and a smaller head than a full size axe. More heft in the head than a 3/4 hudson bay style axe. One of my favorites is an old sears. Top axe in the first pic, middle axe in the second pic. The 3/4 cruiser double bit is also a good choice.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• axes1b.jpg
    axes1b.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 129
  • axes1b.jpg
    axes1b.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 135

AdeInTokyo

Feb 13, 2016
Tokyo, Japan
If axes are too heavy to swing. Sounds like you want a saw, but you don't want a saw. And I love the snobbery of not even considering a plastic axe...

What's wrong with a small axe, and a larger bow saw wuth a green wood blade... That will be the least effort and at a little extra weight.

Your current bits may well be polished, but is the geometry correct. Are you sure the convex is deep enough?

VikingGirl

Mar 23, 2016
Gent
Have you ever used a boy's axe? They are a 3/4 axe, with a shorter handle and a smaller head than a full size axe. More heft in the head than a 3/4 hudson bay style axe. One of my favorites is an old sears. Top axe in the first pic, middle axe in the second pic. The 3/4 cruiser double bit is also a good choice.

I was thinking about a boy's axe, but I've never come across one.. What would you say is the difference btw a Scandinavian Gransfors and a boys axe?

VikingGirl

Mar 23, 2016
Gent
If axes are too heavy to swing. Sounds like you want a saw, but you don't want a saw. And I love the snobbery of not even considering a plastic axe...

What's wrong with a small axe, and a larger bow saw wuth a green wood blade... That will be the least effort and at a little extra weight.

Your current bits may well be polished, but is the geometry correct. Are you sure the convex is deep enough?

Let me be clear on this. Bushcrafting is about humility. The last thing I would do is snobbery in a forum in which I'm asking for help.
Thus said, suggesting a city-folk crappy axe to my original request, is completely missing the point of what I'm asking for.

Bushcraft is about self-reliance, Fiskar's is anything but that. For a real axe off-grid person like myself, even talking about those plastic things is blasphemy.
I'm being real, not a snob.

Having said all that. I´m really interested in your suggestions. I've never used bow saws, but I would be willing to give it a try, do you really think they are less effort?
Do you know any good brands in Europe and how to look for a green wood blade?

And about the geometry, please explain, how do make sure the convex is deep enough. I've only used Gränsfors all my life trusting they would be good at designing that.
But I know some people preffer other brands. Gränsfors have deep penetration, but get stuck more than others sometimes. That's what I've heard.

Thank you again. Peace. Kiki

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA

I was thinking about a boy's axe, but I've never come across one.. What would you say is the difference btw a Scandinavian Gransfors and a boys axe?

I think there's a bit more mass in the head. I don't know the difference in head weight but I just weighed my SFA an it was 2 lbs, 11 oz, while my Sears Craftsman boys axe weighs in at 3 lbs, 5 oz. The handle on the boy's axe is about 2" longer, but that's a handle I put on myself. I like the balance better on the boys axe for both chopping and splitting.

Bunch of nice looking boys axes on this page but they ain't cheap.

Last edited:

AdeInTokyo

Feb 13, 2016
Tokyo, Japan
Let me be clear on this. Bushcrafting is about humility. The last thing I would do is snobbery in a forum in which I'm asking for help.
Thus said, suggesting a city-folk crappy axe to my original request, is completely missing the point of what I'm asking for.

Bushcraft is about self-reliance, Fiskar's is anything but that. For a real axe off-grid person like myself, even talking about those plastic things is blasphemy.
I'm being real, not a snob.

Having said all that. I´m really interested in your suggestions. I've never used bow saws, but I would be willing to give it a try, do you really think they are less effort?
Do you know any good brands in Europe and how to look for a green wood blade?

And about the geometry, please explain, how do make sure the convex is deep enough. I've only used Gränsfors all my life trusting they would be good at designing that.
But I know some people preffer other brands. Gränsfors have deep penetration, but get stuck more than others sometimes. That's what I've heard.

Thank you again. Peace. Kiki
Apologies. I had no idea you were living off grid, in that case a plastic handled axe wouldn't be good.

But they rarely fail. You'd be surprised. And a new fiskars axe will likely cist less than a handle for a GB axe (accounting for time and effort) and for the cost, you could order 4 and use one at a time, they would last a near life time, if used fit for task, (as in not trying to take down a redwood with a hand hatchet)

As for geometry, GB are very good out of the box. But with long use and lots of sharpening. If not done correctly (I am not saying you have done it badly) the convex portion if the bit can get stubier. This would reduce bite.
e2fcbd4e6cc9fb4553b705951f660dc5.jpg

Compare the red and blue lines. The red is what it was probably like out of the box, the blue might be what it looks like after lots of stropping/honing. Blue would be stronger (no chips) likely stick less, but also bite less. Red would cut deep, stick, and chip. You have to find the balance for the wood you cut and your body.

As for saws, yes they are less effort for anything over a few cm in diameter. Remember you don't need to cut the whole tree*,as in it isn't about strength. And unless you cutting tons of oak you be better for it. Trouble is, blades dull. And most bow saws aren't really shaprenable.

* back cut.
20dfa883d1def45741464ce779845bec.jpg

For a bigger tree, cut half way, and chop half way. That will let you aim the fall.

For smaller stuff just cut half of it and push it over. The stump will split a bit, and may leave fibers attached. That's when a small axe comes in.

For really big stuff you'll need wedges.

If you want an off the grid saw, you might want to consider an old style cross cut saw they lend themselves to being sharpened.

e7457d2d70259b48946b8adef025d8a3.jpg

But unless you are a logger, I don't think you need to cut that many trees down.

Look at wranglestar on youtube, he has great truly off the gird options.

Last edited:

VikingGirl

Mar 23, 2016
Gent
But unless you are a logger, I don't think you need to cut that many trees down.

Look at wranglestar on youtube, he has great truly off the gird options.

I'm very grateful for your response. Very detailed and interesting.
About the instructions on how to fell, I'm pretty much familiar with them. I've been felling from a very early age.
And altough I'm no logger, I do bring a lot of trees down every year, around 200 every summer. Most of them are small, 20 to 30cm diameter, I use the feathering technique for those.
For larger ones feathering doesn't work, so I might have to consider an old fashion saw and bring a sharpening kit with me.
What brand is that saw you posted? Which one would you recommend?

Thanks for understanding my beef with the fiskars ;)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......As for saws, yes they are less effort for anything over a few cm in diameter. Remember you don't need to cut the whole tree*,as in it isn't about strength. And unless you cutting tons of oak you be better for it. Trouble is, blades dull. And most bow saws aren't really shaprenable. .....

Really? I've been sharpening them since I was in my early teens (over 47 years now) with no problems.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Last edited:

bradleybuckman

Forager
Jun 25, 2010
Kentucky, USA
If cutting lots of wood for heat and other purposes, I would very much agree with the suggestion of a chainsaw, and would happily pack in gasoline to keep it going. A lot easier and would free up tons of time to pursue other projects. But, you appear to be strongly opposed to a chainsaw, so I would say the recommendation of a Boy's Axe is a wise choice. I think that the Boy's Axe coupled with a 30" Bahco bow saw would meet most of your needs for wood cutting.

Here is a Council Tool Boy's Axe next to a Gransfors Bruks American Felling axe, with what I believe is a 31" handle. I'm not sure on the availability of Council Tool axes where you live, but they are quite affordable in the US. However, unlike the Gransfors Bruks axe line, they will require a little work to get them into the same cutting condition that your GB will arrive.

IMG_2698 by Bradley Buckman, on Flickr

Here is the Boy's Axe next to a GB Scandinavian Forest Axe

IMG_2705 by Bradley Buckman, on Flickr

GB American Felling Axe w/ 31" handle, Council Tool Boy's Axe, and GB Scandinavian Forest Axe.

IMG_2700 by Bradley Buckman, on Flickr

If you decide to go with a Council Tool Boy's Axe, I would suggest the Forest Service Axe. Pretty much the same as the Boy's Axe, but better quality handle and grind.

IMG_2704 by Bradley Buckman, on Flickr

Comparison of them all together

IMG_2703 by Bradley Buckman, on Flickr

Last edited:

VikingGirl

Mar 23, 2016
Gent
If cutting lots of wood for heat and other purposes, I would very much agree with the suggestion of a chainsaw, and would happily pack in gasoline to keep it going. A lot easier and would free up tons of time to pursue other projects. But, you appear to be strongly opposed to a chainsaw, so I would say the recommendation of a Boy's Axe is a wise choice. I think that the Boy's Axe coupled with a 30" Bahco bow saw would meet most of your needs for wood cutting.

Here is a Council Tool Boy's Axe next to a Gransfors Bruks American Felling axe, with what I believe is a 31" handle. I'm not sure on the availability of Council Tool axes where you live, but they are quite affordable in the US. However, unlike the Gransfors Bruks axe line, they will require a little work to get them into the same cutting condition that your GB will arrive.

WOW. I cant thank you enough! This visual comparision is great! I'm going to look deepn into finding a boy's axe, but seems almost impossible here in Europe...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE