'Look What We Found' range of pouch meals

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Brize Norton / Midlands (rest)
Bought a couple of pouches from Booths in Ulverston the other day, from th 'Look What We Found' range.

Got a Pork and herb sausage casserole
http://www.lookwhatwefound.co.uk/st...oducts_id=20&zenid=e3k90eusvhoifd8prp7nesk436

And a Herdwick Mutton Stew
http://www.lookwhatwefound.co.uk/st...oducts_id=27&zenid=e3k90eusvhoifd8prp7nesk436

Tried them both the same evening, heated in a microwave (cheating, I know, but I was visiting my mother, and I think she would object to me setting up a meths stove in her kitchen to boil in bag them).

I really enjoyed the sausage casserole, with the little potatoes, lots of 'herby' flavour, Highly Recommended, despite the £2.49 price tag.

I wish I could say I enjoyed the Herdwick Mutton Stew, I was really looking forward to it, as I love lamb, but this stew, while 'pleasant' and 'subtly flavoured' really didn't grab my attention. I really am sad to say that I was disappointed with this one.

The one I couldn't find, but really want to try is the 'Wild Rabbit in Leek and Elderflower Sauce with Camargue Red Rice'.
http://www.lookwhatwefound.co.uk/st...oducts_id=29&zenid=e3k90eusvhoifd8prp7nesk436

I really fancy trying something with rabbit, and other than getting a few bunnies from the local butcher (haven't asked yet, but I think he might), I will have to wait.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Have a look at the Kcals, for one of those meals, good for someone on a diet I think.

Actually a pack of one of those - about 440 kcals and a pouch of easy cook rice (like the 2-minute express pilau basmati from Sainsburys) is 400 kcals would give you over 800kcals - add some nibbles either side of it and you would easily push 1100+ kcals if not more. Which is okay for a meal for an Adult not on a diet, doing 'normal' activity and not a soldier in a war zone needing 2000 kcals per meal.....

So seems okay to me....

I'm gonna be using these pouches on Dartmoor for two nights - along with a few extras to boost the calories. I will be doing moderate activity - but I doubt I'll starve ;)

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Actually a pack of one of those - about 440 kcals and a pouch of easy cook rice (like the 2-minute express pilau basmati from Sainsburys) is 400 kcals would give you over 800kcals - add some nibbles either side of it and you would easily push 1100+ kcals if not more. Which is okay for a meal for an Adult not on a diet, doing 'normal' activity and not a soldier in a war zone needing 2000 kcals per meal.....

So seems okay to me....

I'm gonna be using these pouches on Dartmoor for two nights - along with a few extras to boost the calories. I will be doing moderate activity - but I doubt I'll starve ;)
Not a bad plan... ;)

11.jpg

12.jpg

Gailainne

Life Member

So seems okay to me....

Sorry , but haven't you just proven my point ? instead of one pack for dinner, you need two plus "nibbles" ?

Plus where are you getting 440 Kcals, the ones I looked at as posted were 120 ish, some were considerably less.

From the website;

Wild Rabbit in Leek and Elderflower Sauce with Camargue Red Rice 112 Kcals
Herdwick Mutton Stew 84 Kcals
Traditional Pork & Herb Sausage Casserole 120 Kcals

The average male requires 3000 Kcal/day, female 2000, thats a normal day.

If you did nothing but drink fluids for 2 days you would'nt come to any harm, but if I were doing 2 nights out with a backpack, in this weather I think I would prefer something a bit more substantial than a supposed main meal that gave me 84-120 Kcals, "nibbles" or not :rolleyes:

BTW A cheap pack of asda own brand noodles is 330 Kcaks, you get them for 30-50p.

As always this is my opinion, take it as such, and use your common sense.

Stephen

Carbuncle

Forager
Jan 12, 2009
Merseyside
Plus where are you getting 440 Kcals, the ones I looked at as posted were 120 ish, some were considerably less.

From the website;

Wild Rabbit in Leek and Elderflower Sauce with Camargue Red Rice 112 Kcals
Herdwick Mutton Stew 84 Kcals
Traditional Pork & Herb Sausage Casserole 120 Kcals

If food could be made that low in calories, I wouldn't be the lardarse I am. That's per 100g - they're typically 300g. Still low though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE