Look what I finally found!

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
y2u2e2aj.jpg

160 lb Peter wright with 85% rebound! I couldn't be happier!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
That looks .............sweet. Lots of fun cleaning up there.

Quite hard to 'find' as I'm looking for one myself! I could buy one but not my definition of 'finding'.

The look continues.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Nice find, what is rebound?
I wish there was a name on mine which came from a blacksmiths that shut down around 30 years ago

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Rebound is the amount of bounce your hammer has when you let it fall onto the face of the anvil.

This is typically the test done to check if its a good anvil. You can do it with a hammer or even a ball bearing.

Poor rebound indicates a problem with the anvil, usually that it is cast iron which can be confirmed by a lack of ringing when struck. The test could also indicate that the face plate has come loose.

Looks like a fine anvil mate. Fastest way to clean up the face is to start beating hot steel on her!

All the best
Andy

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Here is how i did the rebound test:

Using a 1" ball bearing, I held a tape measure up and dropped the ball 10" from the top of the Anvil. the bearing came back to 8.5"-9" thus 85-90% rebound. I did this over several spots on the face with the same outcome!

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
sy2eduqu.jpg

After a good going over with a cup wheel and a light oiling. No paint for this old girl!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Blimey mate! Just a bit of a going over with the cup wheel? How long did that take? I should really do that do mine!
very impressed.

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE