Longstrider sharpening service

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
I, like many have been frustrated by my inability to get a hair popping edge on my knives.

I saw a posting over on BB about a knife sharpening service offered by the member - Longstrider.

I sent out my Mini Canadian & Hultafors axe - both were pretty blunt. For a reasonable cost he has sharpened & polished them & returned them to me in under a week.

They are both now impressively sharp, but, for me, more importantly I have a great edge to use as my "bench mark", and should be easy to maintain.

Pics to follow :)

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Don't give up on the quest for crazy sharp knives. Like most things it won't work properly until all of a sudden you realise you've cracked it. Practice makes perfect.

I haven't seen Longstrider post on here for sometime, but I know he has some EXTREMELY sharp knives! I guess he's still as busy as ever on BB, good to hear...

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Ian's a good guy and I get the impression he enjoyed sharpening knives.....or maybe it's a frustration at the thought of a knife that's not sharp :D

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Ian's a good guy and I get the impression he enjoyed sharpening knives.....or maybe it's a frustration at the thought of a knife that's not sharp :D

Probably a bit of both! He let me have a look around his workshop and helped me bevel a couple blades ridiculously quick when I first started making knives. He was standing a rizla rolling paper up and cutting it in half with an everyday carry pocket knife. Then he got out a cutting comp blade.:yikes:

Great guy, happy to help out and it gave me something to aim for when making knives and sharpening mine. :35:

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
I liken it to bulling shoes/boots in the military, some are just good at it some need to work at being good at it, then one day it clicks and you think? why was that so hard!
omo :)

I may look him up as I have some knifes I just cant crack lol

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Another way to get a benchmark is to buy a robevs knife.
Sharpest thing I've ever used and a superb everyday user.
Having said that ..... I do have a few knives I just can't seem to get to grips with too.
Hmmmm.
Simon

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
I think a pic is in order!

He took the knife from this sorry state:

gun001-1.jpg

gun002-1.jpg

And turned the edge into this mirror finish:
005.jpg

006.jpg

Sparrowhawk

Sep 8, 2010
Huddersfield
I had a similar issue with my beloved Woodlore. It had a nasty gash and was just depressing to look at. Ian was recommended to me on BB as well. I sent it off and he did a beautiful job. He got to work straight away, and gave me a call as soon as he'd done a diagnostic. I really appreciated how up-front and honest he was with me. I'll definitely send some work his way again. Can't recommend him highly enough. Pictures to Follow.

JH

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE