Longstrider Magic!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
About two months ago, I saw a knife for sale by Bob Juttle on this forum, and it was one of those things - that's for me! - and I bought it.Sometimes when you get your mitts on something like that, you're happy to have it but it's not quite what you thought it'd be but still a good thing. Not so with this one - I knew immediately this was all I had thought it'd be and more besides. After a couple of weeks of constant use, I had the feeling that there was something not quite right with the edge geometry for my purposes; each timeI tried to lick it up and fettle the edge, I was putting a secondary bevel on it and this was thickening the shoulder behind the cutting edge and making the knife hard work for my style of carving.

Having read of the skills of Longstrider, I mailed him and agreed to post the knife to him; he got it next day, called me that evening and discussed what to do, he made a few suggestions which I agreed to, and he performed his magic...........two days later the knife arrived back with me and I couldn't believe the difference. A small adjustment to the angle of the grind and a sharpen and polish, and the thing came to life in my hands. The knife's edge is so superbly polished that my 'phone camera can't even come close to capturing the perfection of it. It's as if I'd had the thing ground and sharpened specifically to suit my carving technique............fantastic understanding of the art and craft and outstanding workmanship, carried out quickly and efficiently with great communication - what more can you ask for?

If you have a cutting tool that you suspect could be improved but don't have the fine skills and tools to do it, I couldn't recommend Longstrider highly enough, a true craftsman!

I'd like to make it clear that there was absolutely nothing wrong with the way the knife was set up when I got it from Bob, it just didn't suit my idiosyncratic carving technique caused by severely arthritic hands.

I don't think I've ever had a sharper tool in my hands, and sharp tools were something I've always used for the horse harness I've worked with for most of my life.............

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
That's really great to hear! A cutting edge is a very personal thing, and once you've got it how you like it, it'll serve you well for ages! You couldn't have picked a better place to send it to either, the man should be a member of the magic circle!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Thanks for the comments, boys; I'm really made up by what he achieved with the knife - there's just no substitute for a truly skilled craftsman/woman..............atb mac

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE