Longhaul Luggage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Blencathra

Dec 12, 2005
North Yorkshire, UK
Odd place to post, but we are going on a trip and need some big luggage for gear

ANY OPINIONS THOUGHTS ON QUALITY / RELIABILITY

North Face Longhaul 30
Dakine Split Roller
Eagle Creek ORV 32

Or similar.

Need at least one with wheels as taking kids also and will have hands full

Cheers, can always rely on you for help...........

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
The army deployment bags are very good. Cheap, carry as a rucksack and hardwearing. I paid £12 for the last one from my local surplus shop.

I

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Odd place to post, but we are going on a trip and need some big luggage for gear

ANY OPINIONS THOUGHTS ON QUALITY / RELIABILITY

North Face Longhaul 30
Dakine Split Roller
Eagle Creek ORV 32

Or similar.

Need at least one with wheels as taking kids also and will have hands full

Cheers, can always rely on you for help...........

I have many North Face duffel type bags and they have traveled far and never let me down. I did once have a North Face wheeled duffle which was also fairly robust but I gave it to a relative as I prefer the basic 120 L duffles.

:)

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
I'd be heading for TK Maxx to see what they had. Some good stuff in there. Got the lad a very nice Timberland wheeled holdall for about £40 last month. All depends what they've got in though. I've a Samsonite holdall that's 10 years old & still going strong. Some of the Snugpac Kitmonster stuff looks OK too.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Watch your weight limits.... I believe there is a limit of 23kg on any one bag/case for 'elfin safety reasons,
and no amount of protests will alter that..... :(

I cain't see why health and safety would really care how much a single bag weighs; more likely how much a single person can lift unaided. I've flown with bags well over 100 pounds (over 45 kilos)

There'll likely be charges for the extra weight though if flying, The OP didn't mention mode of travel though.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
My nieces had those wheel cases that they could sit on, sis + BiL have the wheel cases which were handy for the airports.

TNF Duffle is good, choice between deployment bag or the duffle no contest. Weight restrictions are worth checking though, amazing how much airlines charge per kilo.

Expat

Forager
Feb 9, 2012
Dorset for good...!!
I cain't see why health and safety would really care how much a single bag weighs; more likely how much a single person can lift unaided. I've flown with bags well over 100 pounds (over 45 kilos)

There'll likely be charges for the extra weight though if flying, The OP didn't mention mode of travel though.

Yes, there are charges for being over the weight, but I am talking about per bag.... It must have been some time since you flew, Santaman...
They will no longer accept single bags/suitcases over 23kgs....
Coming back from Egypt last year, I had to split a case of 28kgs into a 2nd bag AND pay the excess..... :(

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yes, there are charges for being over the weight, but I am talking about per bag.... It must have been some time since you flew, Santaman...
They will no longer accept single bags/suitcases over 23kgs....
Coming back from Egypt last year, I had to split a case of 28kgs into a 2nd bag AND pay the excess..... :(

Actually over here they charge per bag......period. There are no free bags at all anymore (apart from carry-on kept at hand during the flight) That said, they don't weigh checked baggage at all. If it's in one bag, they charge for one bag.

At least on the larger airliners. Probably quite different on the charter flights with smaller planes though.

Last edited:

Expat

Forager
Feb 9, 2012
Dorset for good...!!
Never having been on a charter flight, I can't comment on that, but I was talking about my experiences with
British Airways, KLM, Emirates and Egyptair who all had the same rules, at least up until six months ago.....
Max. 23kg per bag, and a charge if you have more than one checked piece of luggage, which was around £80 each additional bag.

I'm a big fan of Samsonite. They do some nice lightweight kit bag style rollers. Been using the same one for over ten years, and I travel a lot.
They have a lifetime guarantee, even on zips etc.

A word on travelling with kids... remember if they are over 2 years old they have a full baggage allowance themselves. So travelling with our 7 year old we could potentially take 3 x 23kg = 69kg (hold), plus 3 x 11kg = 33 kg (cabin) so total 102kg. Which has got to be enough for most scenarios.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Never having been on a charter flight, I can't comment on that, but I was talking about my experiences with
British Airways, KLM, Emirates and Egyptair who all had the same rules, at least up until six months ago.....
Max. 23kg per bag, and a charge if you have more than one checked piece of luggage, which was around £80 each additional bag.

LOL. And I've never been on any of those. When I said full size airliners I was referring to Delta, American, Southwest. I have been on small puddle jumpers that weighed my baggage (Scenic Airlines in the Las Vegas area)

But as per the point in my original post, it seems to be more of an airline policy rather than a health and safety issue as to the size of the individual bags. Total weight per passenger would be a safety of flight issue though on smaller aircraft.

Last edited:

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
LOL. And I've never been on any of those. When I said full size airliners I was referring to Delta, American, Southwest. I have been on small puddle jumpers that weighed my baggage (Scenic Airlines in the Las Vegas area)

But as per the point in my original post, it seems to be more of an airline policy rather than a health and safety issue as to the size of the individual bags. Total weight per passenger would be a safety of flight issue though on smaller aircraft.

American and Delta are all 23kgs (50lbs) as well these days for standard luggage. It's an airport baggage handling policy so it applies to all airlines. That said you can go up to 32kgs which is classed as heavy but that is a special handling cost (on most airlines it's $150) this is often included on business class flights. Over that and you can't deal with it at the check in desk as it doesn't go on the belts etc.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
American and Delta are all 23kgs (50lbs) as well these days for standard luggage. It's an airport baggage handling policy so it applies to all airlines......

I suppose airport policy would explain it then. It's not like that in our airports (at least not the ones I use)

Blencathra

Dec 12, 2005
North Yorkshire, UK
Hi Santaman,

Yep flying to Oz, so 23kg hold + carry on for each of us.

A northFace duffel will be one bag, looking at something like a dakine split roller or north face long haul or another duffel as suggested by Tepee et al.... Thinking bag with wheels easier to handle when keeping kids in line....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE