Longest woodland walk?

M

Mike Denner

Hi
Could anyone tell me what the longest walk someone could do in Britain which you could do entirely in woodland or forest without crossing roads and farmers fields etc.
Just curious.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
In Wales it might be the forest to the west of the elan valley reservoir system, running north south. Can't remember what it is called. Pretty much the middle of nowhere, sort of between Strata Florida to the north and Llyn Brianne to the south.

I've intended to walk there for a long time but never got around to it.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Does your walk have to be in the UK. The 'Westweg' in the Black Forest is about 300km, a lovely part of the world, not all forested, but mostly.

M

Mike Denner

I live in nethy bridge which is surrounded in lovely woodland and from here i have access to milles of woodland trails including Rothirmurchus. But i do not think I could walk for a day and not have to cross a road is this possible anywhere in Britain? If not then its quite sad isnt it? Teepee I didnt realise Galaway forest park was so big (biggest forest in britain apparently) Ill have a good look at it along with the other woods mentioned.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Hi
Could anyone tell me what the longest walk someone could do in Britain which you could do entirely in woodland or forest without crossing roads and farmers fields etc.
Just curious.

Does your walk have to be in the UK. The 'Westweg' in the Black Forest is about 300km, a lovely part of the world, not all forested, but mostly.

But the pedant in me says that there is no limit at all to the disctance you could walk, if you just go round in circles, as Niels also suggested.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
And some woodland makes trekking very hard work, so distance would be negligible as opposed to time.
Loads of miles a day....
5y6a2ata.jpg

To a few miles a day......
ata9uru3.jpg

Its not the length of the wood....its the wood itself ;)

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
In Wales it might be the forest to the west of the elan valley reservoir system, running north south. Can't remember what it is called. Pretty much the middle of nowhere, sort of between Strata Florida to the north and Llyn Brianne to the south.

I've intended to walk there for a long time but never got around to it.

Your on! when are we going ???

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Hafren Forest in mid Wales is pretty large - walked through it to the source of the River Severn once.

Kielder - another vote - it's BIG!

Not very remote and croseed with a few roads - the Forest of Dean. I can spend ages there without meeting anyone - just walk slowly and keep off the paths...

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
I'm thinking of going up to the Galloway forest park in early spring, but as I know bugger all about the place I wouldn't know which bits to visit! I'm driving up the M6, and fancy seeing the night sky, wild camping with me dog for a couple of nights. I like the idea of walking amongst the trees, along lochsides and so on (normally I'm up on the moors of Yorkshire).
Would late spring be relatively midge free, or am I going to have to stick to high ground even at that time of year? I'll be tarping so hoping to camp in woodland for a change, so hoping flying bitey things will be at a minimum!

Elen Sentier

Going to reconstruct the crime are we? I know who did it.

LPW is one of my heroes. :)

One of mine too ... did guess that one fairly quickly but her writing is just so superb! I love all the descriptions in Herrings and would love to look up the places that inspired her. Did that for Dornford Yates and found a lot of the places down in the Pyrenees for Berry and Chandos :)

Elen Sentier

Hafren Forest in mid Wales is pretty large - walked through it to the source of the River Severn once. Kielder - another vote - it's BIG! Not very remote and croseed with a few roads - the Forest of Dean. I can spend ages there without meeting anyone - just walk slowly and keep off the paths...

Thanks for those ... wanted to do Keilder for a while.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE