Long Way Down

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 13, 2007
NORTHANTS
Was nice to see Max and the Shadowhawk team involved in Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman's Bike ride to South Africa.Last Night BBC2. Providing Survival/Awareness training for said trip, oh and there was some bloke called Ray on there as well.Its repeated tomorrow at 11.20pm,way passed my bed time.

By the way, I have no professional connection with Shadowhawk.

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
Was nice to see Max and the Shadowhawk team involved in Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman's Bike ride to South Africa.Last Night BBC2. Providing Survival/Awareness training for said trip, oh and there was some bloke called Ray on there as well.Its repeated tomorrow at 11.20pm,way passed my bed time.

By the way, I have no professional connection with Shadowhawk.

Why did Max have to squash poor Ewan's shelter like that? It's not supposed to be for avalanche protection! And telling tall tales about people having their faces chewed off by hyenas. He does it so dead-pan, too. Naughty Max!

Burnt Ash

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Very good start program. I guess he squashed it to prove a point or just to be a mean so and so :lmao:

Nice to see Exmed, at least they've got a very very good medic on board aswell.

Looking forward to the other episodes, should be good.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Was a good start.

Fancy mentioning the B word in an airport. :D

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Would be interesting to know what actually happened, as Ewan said something about the lass in the departure lounge being rude or obnoxious. Glossed over....Still a naughty thing to do though.

Not sure if it's repeated.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Yeah it was a good watch last night.

I'm interested to learn more about the Team medic, I appreciate the guy is probably a Doctor, but I'm fascinated by expedition medics and medicine.

Looking forward to next weeks episode!

Is it just mean though or do you get jealous watching these things!

P

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Yeah it was a good watch last night.

I'm interested to learn more about the Team medic, I appreciate the guy is probably a Doctor, but I'm fascinated by expedition medics and medicine.

Looking forward to next weeks episode!

Is it just mean though or do you get jealous watching these things!

P

He's a paramedic, as opposed to a doctor I believe.

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants

Tell you what, you would rather have one of these guys looking after you than a doctor in a remote area.

The dude is Dai Jones, from Ex-Med where most of the firm are ex military medics, normally with experience of working with Special Forces and training them. Aswell as being military medic qualified they are Paramedic qualified.

They are VERY well respected and provide training and services for many private security companies and television companies.

http://www.ex-med.co.uk/pages.aspx?id=296

The other camera man, Jim Foster, he was also UK Special Forces.

Why did Max have to squash poor Ewan's shelter like that? It's not supposed to be for avalanche protection! And telling tall tales about people having their faces chewed off by hyenas. He does it so dead-pan, too. Naughty Max!

If it isn't going to stand up to Max gently climbing up it, then it would stand no chance against an equivelent sized animal clambering on it.

In the Army we used to have land rovers driven over our KIP shelters to make sure they would stand up to abuse..............some times with the builder inside. On the French commando course you have tanks drive over the top of you, whilst laying down and also whilst in a shelter.

Being a biker, especially off road, I like the notion and intent of the programme but Charley Boorman was acting like a professional spoiled brat.........again.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Chalk up another dream job then!

The MIRA course looks the bees knees, does anyone know whether they are just for Medical staff only, not that I've got £900 kicking about mind!

As with you I like the concept of the trips but the reality of it for the average joe is probably little more than a dream. With that in mind and the amount of free stuff and support they get I wonder whether it fosters an attitude of 'spoilt brat'.

Pib

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
If it isn't going to stand up to Max gently climbing up it, then it would stand no chance against an equivelent sized animal clambering on it.

In the Army we used to have land rovers driven over our KIP shelters to make sure they would stand up to abuse..............some times with the builder inside. On the French commando course you have tanks drive over the top of you, whilst laying down and also whilst in a shelter.

Being a biker, especially off road, I like the notion and intent of the programme but Charley Boorman was acting like a professional spoiled brat.........again.

Land Rovers and tanks, eh? Gosh! The things you military types get up to!
I've got a strange contraption called a tent. It gives great shelter against rain, snow and wind and (being an expedition rated tent) will stand up to some pretty fierce weather. It will, however, collapse if someone climbs over it. Horses for courses, I suppose.

If you think Boorman was behaving like a spoiled brat, I'm not sure the McGregors' great wheeze of having Mrs McG (with nil previous experience on a motorbike) come along for part of the ride was anything but stupid indulgence. If they wanted to do the husband and wife biking thing together, that's utterly splendid and wonderful, but another time, another place. Not on this project.

Burnt Ash

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I realise that they did a trip before with just the two of them and the mad camera man, but I can't help but think that in their position with all of the sponsorship they can muster, it would have been nice if they could have done a nationwide competition and took a couple of people along with them. They could easily have got the bikes and kit for two extra people, the advertising for the companies would have made it worth it.

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Chalk up another dream job then!

The MIRA course looks the bees knees, does anyone know whether they are just for Medical staff only, not that I've got £900 kicking about mind!

As with you I like the concept of the trips but the reality of it for the average joe is probably little more than a dream. With that in mind and the amount of free stuff and support they get I wonder whether it fosters an attitude of 'spoilt brat'.

Pib

Most of the stuff Ex Med do is available to whoever has a cheque book. I chatted with one of their guys recently and he assured me that their 5 day courses are similar in content to the SAS patrol medic course. I was also told that paying for the course does not guarantee passing the course..........it's not just 'course attended', you have to work at it to pass it.

If'n you are interested in getting qualled in summat why don't you do, in this order:

1. St Johns activity first aid, 2 days.........@ most St Johns Centres, around £50'ish
2. REC 4..........
3. REC 5..........
4. Wilderness Emergency Medical Technician (WEMT) or Wilderness First Responder (WFR)

no's 2, 3 & 4 you can do here: http://www.pawprintmedical.com/courses.html
There are also several US based schools that run the WEMT & WFR courses.

Hollywood star and the son of a Hollywood director, spoiled, surely not???

Its nice to get wadges of sponsorship but it is do-able cheaper. In 2010 want to get a Bedford MK and drive down thru europe, over to Morrocco, Western Sahara, Mauritania, Senegal (xmas on the beach there), thru Mali to Timbuctou, down thru Burkina Faso, finishing in Ghana where the MK is given to a deserving charitable organisation and then fly back to UK. Should take 6 weeks and cost around £1.5K each for 10 people, for the experience of a lifetime - I am serious, honest.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE