Long Way Down

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Some good tips there thanks. I've actually done an expedition first aid course last year organised by BCUK and ran by Forest Knights. I've done a number of first aid courses in the past including one with the TA however, this one kinda gave me the bug! If you can get the bug for something like this.

It is probably a level four course as per the link but it had elements for level five in there as well!

It's good to here it's not a pay and pass course but it would suck if you fail at that kind of money!

Your trip sounds amazing, probably cheeper than the nightmare that is two weeks in Disneyland Florida!

Enjoy

Pib

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
In 2010 want to get a Bedford MK and drive down thru europe, over to Morrocco, Western Sahara, Mauritania, Senegal (xmas on the beach there), thru Mali to Timbuctou, down thru Burkina Faso, finishing in Ghana where the MK is given to a deserving charitable organisation and then fly back to UK. Should take 6 weeks and cost around £1.5K each for 10 people, for the experience of a lifetime - I am serious, honest.

I know my way round a bedford!

;)

May 13, 2007
NORTHANTS
Just a reminder, for those that missed it, Long Way Down is repeated this evening at 11.20pm on BBC2.
As for the hyena face biting problem, apparently this has been known to happen :eek: presumably in the more remote areas, and whilst not defending anyone, Max may have used this to emphasize the point that Ewan's shelter was too short? To keep hyenas out of camp RM suggests keeping a shovel handy as a deterrent!! oh and keep the fire going. I for one wouldnt be getting much sleep.....pass the pro plus :D

Steve

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
2 Googled bits

1)Hyenas are attracted to the smell of rotting meat between people’s teeth. Some people have woken up to hyenas biting off the front part of their face

2)http://en.allexperts.com/q/Interspecies-Conflict-3754/winner-1.htm

Heh, 1 sounds like a story told by parents to get kids to brush their teeth :D
"Brush your teeth or a Hyena is going to rip your face off!"

Also reminds me of Pieter Hugo's photos http://www.pieterhugo.com/nigeria/index.html

-- 10mins to the repeat on 2 ...

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
In 2010 want to get a Bedford MK and drive down thru europe, over to Morrocco, Western Sahara, Mauritania, Senegal (xmas on the beach there), thru Mali to Timbuctou, down thru Burkina Faso, finishing in Ghana where the MK is given to a deserving charitable organisation and then fly back to UK. Should take 6 weeks and cost around £1.5K each for 10 people, for the experience of a lifetime - I am serious, honest.

You'll need 10 people just to turn the steering wheel on an MK ;)

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
I know my way round a bedford!

;)

I've already got a 'Leave Pass' in principle from SWMBO for this :)........can you get one???? The sweetner was promising xmas on the beach in Senegal as a family holiday half way thru the trek - I think that would keep most other halfs happy ;).

The story behind it quickly. I was going to follow the Dakar on a bike, but my back is a tad kaput so I thought of buying an ex-army Lanny and taking a couple of bod's with me. So, I went and had a look at Witham SV and whilst lusting over Lanny's found out that MK's are half the price - a few more bodies and more kit for more fun. Alternatively a TM, they cost more, but the upside is they have twice the poke.

The idea is to get 8 car seats bolt them on the bed, add a 600 litre water container, genny, either 2 quads or 2 dirt bikes, larger fuel tank, big box of spares and 10 personal kit bins..........and Spamels tool box ;)

As the end result will be donating the whole kit and kaboodle to a charity in Ghana I was also going to annoy some companies for sponsorship and donations. I have a mate who is a Belgian Para (he wants to come along) his job is disaster relief he is going to see what he can officially scrounge from the Belgian military as a donation. I have acouple of mates who are fire brigade para medics in Germany one ex Legion (2 REP) medic and the other an ex German paratrooper medic who are interested in coming along and doing their humanitarian bit.

You'll need 10 people just to turn the steering wheel on an MK ;)

I'd agree its a pig of a job :) , but I did it with a 27.5KVA towed behind a box body for a couple of years.......I'm surprised I'm still alive.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
This trip sounds the bizz Tourist.

My brother in law did something similar about 12 years ago now. He and some Uni mates bought three ex army lannys and drove to Nepal. To pay for the trip they gained sponsors using the trip to carryout maintenance on some hospital generators and replacing two.

One deal they put together was with one of the Landrover magazines where they agreed to write a multiple page article about the trip.

I think he still has the itch!

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
I'd say you probably don't want to disregard the advice of someone who's lived most of their life in Africa tracking animals and hunting down poachers even if he is talking from the "comfort" of Devon.

Likewise a shelter that can't stand up to a bit of weight (and I bet Max didn't jump on it) probably won't stand up to a the strong African wind. Lesson learnt.. build a shelter strong enough to withstand the elements...now move on and stop bleating.

I like Ewan Mcgregor and respect his travel lust but sometimes a little immaturity shows through. That's fair enough if your life and that of your travelling companion doesn't depend on disregarding advice given by the experts.

Pablo.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Didn't see it but no doubt will. Read some book excerpts in the MCN, good stuff.

In just over a week my dad's off on a two week South African bike safari.
He's been gearing up for it all year and learning to ride a dirt bike, has ridden on the road all his life but wasn't sure if he could keep up on dirt so went to a couple of schools around the country on day courses.
I joined him for the "Fun in the mud" motocross day. I have ridden on dirt a fair bit and even to me mx school was a shock(What-you don't use the clutch at all?:eek: ).
The place in Wales he went to he swore by, "the yamaha experience" or something like that, proper trail riding.

It's one of the Riders for Health rides. Sponsorship is buying the bike(some agricultural 200cc aircooled honda 4-stroke from the Austrailian market, looks handy, very late 80's) and handing it over at the end of the ride. Then they're passed on for medical use, most efficient way to get doctors to villages.

It's his 60th birthday present in a way, though he's worked all hours to make it happen. He spent time working in Africa and like so many always wanted to go back. This charity struck a nerve and from the moment he heard of it he was going(!), good on 'im, good luck to 'im and hope the awld eejit comes back in one piece.:)

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
What I'd like to know is how they get the time to write the book [on the road] and have it proof read, printed, published and in the shops a couple of weeks after the ride is finished.

Still, they made a couple of mill out of the last one.........so why not again.
Or am I just cynical.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
How many hours do they ride a day? If they aren't doing over 10 or 12 hours, then they have quite a bit of time for maintenance and sleep, plus daily video logs and written logs. The book is therefore written on the way and then edited when they get back. Most of the work is done during the trip, then they can lounge around for another two years until they need to make more money!

Only joking! It would be nice to have the money they have and not have to worry about killing themselves and leaving their families in financial difficulties. I'm still not too sure about Ewans' wife tagging along. Why?

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
After watching the first episode I thought I'd re-watch the first of Long way Round and I think I found the answer in that for you Spamel.

Ewan says 'I asked Ev if she'd look after my wedding ring whilst I'm away. but she started to cry. So I said Ev, Ev but if I wear it I wouldn't get laid on the trip!' :D

I know SWMBO'd wouldn't let me have a sniff at a trip like this without her getting a look in. Whether I asked her to look after my wedding ring or not!

P

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
Likewise a shelter that can't stand up to a bit of weight (and I bet Max didn't jump on it) probably won't stand up to a the strong African wind. Lesson learnt.. build a shelter strong enough to withstand the elements...now move on and stop bleating.

Pablo.

You're an expert on Africa, huh?

Burnt Ash

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The SA wind is a force to be reckoned with!
I had a brand new 4 man Goedesic Dome tent torn to shreds in a matter of minutes in a blow that only lasted about a half hour.
Ancient pine trees were blown down- with big root systems, the roots ending up about 18 foot high once the tree was flat
2005_0724newphotos0088.jpg

the bloke in the pickie is aprox 6foot 6 inches tall
Ewans shelter would probably have been shredded too!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The weather in Africa is ridiculous. If you haven't been out in the rain in Africa, then you don't know what real rain is! It is worse than any of the places I've visited, and I have been to a few places. We used to get torrential rain once or twice a year in Hameln, Germany that lasted maybe twenty minutes, and it was really bad. You would be soaked in seconds and it appeared so quickly you didn't have time to get waterproofs on, and just as quickly it was gone and the sun came out!

Africa has similar rain, but it lasts for days!

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
What I'd like to know is how they get the time to write the book [on the road] and have it proof read, printed, published and in the shops a couple of weeks after the ride is finished.

Still, they made a couple of mill out of the last one.........so why not again.
Or am I just cynical.

Well they finished the journey at the beginning of August, and presumably chapters were being written and proof read at various stages throughout the journey, so effectively only needed days? probably for the final chapter to be written.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE