long term nessmuk users?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Not sure really - even full tang would be fine but only if you could cut a slot in it to take the full tang so that the "crown" was still attached - a hidden tang with a couple of pins would be grand too - just thinking of one as close as possible to the original

Red

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Here is one that was made with the matching crown to the first one I posted.

nessmukbone1c.jpg

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Fair point - skinner and woodworker I suppose. I rather fear the answer is one for each task :)

I tend to think the action is in the thickness of the blade and the bevel at the edge. I have a lot of flat ground blades that carve wood well because I convexed the edge. Tons in fact if you count all my slip joints I use for carving. And I have had convex ground blades with secondary bevels that did not do too well until I got rid of the secondary bevel. I've had thick bladed convex ground blades that do not carve well. A Marbles of mine comes readily to mind.

Neither of these Nessmuk blades have seen much use but I have a walnut handled Nessmuk made by Dale that is nearly identical that I've used a ton and I'd rate it right at the top as an outdoors knife. Dale's knives are very thin and convexed all the way to the edge. One thing that makes it especially nice is that it's very light.

dalesnessmuk2b.jpg

I have a Dozier convex-ground Professional Guides Knife that I had to send back to Bob to be reground. He was just getting into convex grinding at the time and he left the bevel at the edge too thick for my taste. A little thinning made a world of difference.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that either style works for me, providing other elements are there as well.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
WOW!

Have not looked into this thread for a while as have been mad busy!

Thanks for the review OZ top stuff!

I am interested in the sheathes you use for your Nessies also, any pics thoughts on these would be good!

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
WOW!

Have not looked into this thread for a while as have been mad busy!

Thanks for the review OZ top stuff!

I am interested in the sheathes you use for your Nessies also, any pics thoughts on these would be good!

The sheath Jojo made for mine was top notch, I believe 3 mm Strap leather.. the dye I'm unsure of, a slight redder-brown than the bison brown dye I use on my sheathes. The cord seems to be a twisted waxed cord, has held up well. Sheath he made for it put most of my original attempts at strap-leather work straight to shame, so I've been working harder at it, and think I'm finally getting the hang of it. I plan on, one day, getting lessons from our Lord of the Leather flasks, Eric :D, until then... well I suppose I'll have to employ a couple of my dear Bushcraft UK pals to make my sheathes ;)

Yesterday I did one modification. Seeing as I'm often backpacking, or portaging, I felt the need for a lower-hanging belt loop, so without effecting Jojo's incredible work at a simple, functional sheath, I added a brass d-ring and a longer belt loop. I believe I once heard British Red call this a "Scandi-sheath" or a "Scandi-Beltloop", correct me if I'm wrong Red. I dyed it with a thin coat of Bison brown, and it matched the dye Jojo used perfectly. It'll do me well on many portages and at least two backpacking trips around the world :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Terms I use are "scandy swivel (one long loop) or "double dangler" (two loops joined by a ring). I rather think I (or someone else) invented the term "double dangler" to mean a sheath that can be worn high or low. I find it helpful for the reasons you gave - hanging below a hip belt on a pack. I actaully find it easier to get the knife back in the sheath without craning my neck too

Red

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Right!!!

Gonna crack on with this tonight! anyone want to see a start to finish tutorial on making one of these?!? (I will make it a warts and all type affair)

I am not making the sheath though (For that dougster is the man)

If not I will just crack on and see where I get!

Cheers

[EDIT] I use the term "tutorial" perhaps catalogue of errors may be closer to reality

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Love to see some piccs and a write up Pignut. I'll never get to making my own but I like to live vicariously :)

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Well the first steps are done on the design of my new nessies!

I am going to open a new thread on this one so visit here to see the step by step guide, as it progresses warts and all!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE