"long term" bushcraft in Sweden

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elenias

Mar 17, 2009
Solihull
Thanks but, I will not need a residence permit as I am a EU citizen. :)
As I said, staying in the same place is for me the IDEAL solution, it doesnt mean that I will not accept having to move regulary.

I havent really thought exactely where in Sweden I would like to camp but I would definitely stay down in the South (I really liked the area of Karlsborg in Ray Mears' video)

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
Thanks but, I will not need a residence permit as I am a EU citizen. :)

Yes you do... You're allowed to be in the country for three months afterward you'll need a residence permit and social security number. This goes for almost all the EU countries..

The point being that all matter pertaining to law and regulations (like healthcare, taxes etc.) must be arranged if you stay in a particular country for a longer period.

There are many way's to circumvent this (like occasional registered border crossing etc) but if you're taking a permanent (>3 months) residence somewhere you will be subject to expulsion with no valid permit.

Speaking of which: take very good care about your healthcare insurance. In Sweden, and many other EU nations, you'll have to pay cash if this not arranged or clear. Trust me, I had this experience.

Elenias

Mar 17, 2009
Solihull
I've been living in the UK for a year and a half and I didnt need anything.
How can they ask you to have a permit if you want to stay for more than three months when they cannot know how long you have been in the country for?
=s
"an EU/EEA citizen and his or her family members are permitted to stay in Sweden for more than three months wit­hout a residence permit."

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
An EU/EEA citizen who is an employee, self-em­ployed person, a provider or recipient of services, a student or a person who has sufficient funds to support himself/herself, has a right to reside in Sweden. The term right to reside means that an EU/EEA citizen and his or her family members are permitted to stay in Sweden for more than three months wit­hout a residence permit. A person who has a right of residence must register with the Migration Board no later than three months after entering the country. If you are an EU/EEA citizen and are working in Sweden but live in another EU/EEA country to which you return at least once a week, you do not need to register in Sweden.

and:

A person who does not have right of residence in Sweden but wishes to stay in the country for more than three months must apply for a residence permit. As an EU/EEA citizen you can submit an application after entering Sweden. This can be done at any of the Migration Board permit units.

See also:http://www.migrationsverket.se/english.html

What I mean is that you have to register, and here come the semantics about permit or registration, if you want to stay longer than 3 months.

Elenias

Mar 17, 2009
Solihull
Oh right well I know you're meant to register, but registration has nothing to do with a permit.
There is a massive difference between the two procedures.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I havent really thought exactely where in Sweden I would like to camp but I would definitely stay down in the South (I really liked the area of Karlsborg in Ray Mears' video)

You have a region from about there up to Värmland that is pretty similar in terrain type.

I'd suggest northern Värmland, it is less densly populated, and thus more likely to be receptive to your plans.

E

Emile

" would it be a good idea to take bushcraft books with me? I am intending to travel as lightly as possible but I was thinking it might be worth the extra weight"

not sure if everyone will agree with me here but my experience, particularly during my trip, was that I the books I brought (which were bushcraft related) were a burden. every knot in there, shelter design and first aid process described in the book should be well known to you anyway, so no need to carry the book.

The only books I can imagine taking are those that have information very specific to your area, in the same way that you take a map because you can't effectively memorise a terrain in advance (well, I cant). my first thought would be a guide to edible plants and fungi of the specific region, sometimes found in local libraries, but i've never been comfortable learning that from a book, I always prefer to have someone show me.
There are plenty of cases of misidentification, so I wouldnt trust a book to tell me whats poisonous and whats edible when I'm all alone and the result of a screw up is a lonely goodbye (sound familiar?).
I guess in short, for THIS type of trip I believe you should thoroughly know the essentials of what you need to get by before you go, so you wouldnt need the books. they'd make good improvised toilet paper, or tinder, should you choose to bring them anyway.

on other trips I go to try new stuff out, so it makes sense to bring bushcraft books, but the purpose and nature of the trip is different.

Its an interesting point, not to change the subject, but I'd be curious to know if folk take books, bushcraft or otherwise, out on long trips?
I never had the urge to read when I'm out, there's always so much around to see, or experience..

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
take very good care about your healthcare insurance. In Sweden, and many other EU nations, you'll have to pay cash if this not arranged or clear. Trust me, I had this experience.

You will need an EHIC card (European Health Insurance Card). You can find some info on the UK card here, each EU country issues its own card to its citizens.

The EHIC card will cover you for hospital accommodation, medical care, ambulance and helicopter evacuation.

It will not cover you for non medical expenses such as emergency accommodation outwith your immediate medical needs, specialized care during repatriation (air ambulance) or if the worst happens it won't pay to have your remains shipped home, for these things you will need decent travel insurance, and its worth shopping around not so much for the best price but just to make sure they will actually cover you for what you need.

If things do go pear shaped, you will be in good hands, the Swedish Health Service is wonderful :D

Elenias

Mar 17, 2009
Solihull
Thank you I already have an EHIC.
I think I know what I need to know so far about the legal shizzle :)
Now I would like some practical advices.
I learned quite a lot about bushcraft so far but struggle to find stuff specific to Sweden that is not in swedish (apart from one ray mears episode).
I'd quite like to find plants/trees identification books that are relevant to swedish vegetation and stuff like this.

E

Emile

for books on local vegetation you might have luck at a (swedish) university, or local library... a bit impractical if you want them now, but I've also looked and thats always where I had the most luck. sweden's got plenty of vegetation in common with other parts of Europe including Britain so there's no harm in familiarising yourself with them and getting in some foraging practice.

Elenias

Mar 17, 2009
Solihull
thanks Emile you really hit the spot everytime you comment that's always really interesting.
I think I sent you a pm but I'm not sure you received it.
Could you check?

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
for books on local vegetation you might have luck at a (swedish) university, or local library... a bit impractical if you want them now, but I've also looked and thats always where I had the most luck. sweden's got plenty of vegetation in common with other parts of Europe including Britain so there's no harm in familiarising yourself with them and getting in some foraging practice.

There are a several good books on edible plants in Sweden. Källman ("Vilda växter som mat och medicin" ICA,1997), but also some of Pelle Holmbergs books (e.g. "Vanliga vilda växter till mat, krydda, hälso- och kroppsvård" Raben Prisma 1998) would be handy. There is also a section in the Swedish Army "Handbok Överlevnad" (1988) with plants.

Emile

Mar 19, 2009
Edinburgh
forestwalker, I'll be checking those books out too, wish I'd known about this site/ those books years ago, cheers.

Elenias, my account suddenly vanished and I had to reregister so I wouldnt have gotten your pm, please resend.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE