Long distance walk advice please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Long ago in the dim and distant past, our scout troop used to do a forty mile sponsored walk along canal towpaths. The first year you tried it was always the worst - the checkpoints were never where you wanted to stop. By the second year you learned to crack on and get the ground covered, pick up food and drink and carry it along without stopping and only stop when you wanted to stop. Keep to your own pace too, trying to match someone else will always be a compromise. Think of your hands too, swinging your arms will result in swollen hands, grip the lapels of your jacket so you don't swing your arms to help off-set this. Other replies have covered foot and body preparation but theres no getting away from the fact that it is going to be hard work.

Good luck

Ogri the trog

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
Lightest weight footwear you can get away with for the conditions eg. fabric boot or approach shoe, but make sure there is a good heel breast and tread. Then 1000 mile brand liner socks (the thin ones with two layers like one sock inside another,so those layers move against each other to reduce sheer forces/friction that causes blisters) then a another sock appropriate to the conditions eg merino wool. Consider a waterproof sock for this layer if the weather/ground underfoot is wet eg sealskins /brit army equivalent.A very lightweight ankle gaiter will keep grit /stones from entering the footwear especially needed if you go with a low boot/approach shoe.this system works unfailingly for me.Oh yes,and takes spares to change frequently so as one pair dries out the others get sweaty and rotate... shouldnt be too much of an issue if you judge the footwear right for the conditions though.
I cant begin to say how good the 1000 mile socks are but there are many varients and it is the double layer ones that are the key to this system.good luck.

wilekayote

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2005
sydney
I did lots of practice for a 100km walk but never close to 100km in one shot. On the day around 60km I got butt chaffing - who'd have thought. Anyway should this occur to you DONT use sticky plasters, baby powder's the way to go.

peasantchurl

Banned
Jun 11, 2009
I pratically live in woods around area your walking in, you want to get some boots like a pair of Lowa's I've never had a blister whilst wearing mine and 2 pair of wool socks, the paths your walking on are the most well trodden I've ever come across, its only when you start going up really steep climbs or off the trails that boots rubb but mine don't.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE