Long Distance Backpacking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
P

Psy23

I fancy a nice cheap backpacking survival quest across Europe...

Anyone had any experience with this type of insanity?

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Sounds you would more enjoy the Appalachian Trail or the Pacific Crest Trail...

There's a difference between backpacking and long distance hiking.

Could you be more specific for pointers?

And cheap is relative :D

Mike

IJ55

Forager
Mar 29, 2009
UK
Well how fars long distance? I call 800 miles a long distance hike. My dad calls 2 miles 'a fair way for a stroll'.

Whats the idea you have? and as mal said, how 'ceap' do you need it?

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Depends how 'wild' you want it. There are a lot of long-distance marked trails in Europe, some that stay low and some that cross the Alps. Have a listen to some of Podcast Bob's stuff on the Outdoors Station site - they have lots of podcasts on long distance trails and that might give you some good ideas. One in particular springs to mind - a woman who walked from Eastern to Western Europe, in lightweight style, over a number of months. Amazing adventure!

You could perhaps look at linking up some of the trails. For example, I used to live near Kaiserslautern in mid-Germany. The forest behind our house had a 'Pilgrim Trail' that went from Southern Germany to Lourdes (I think) and there were lots of others around. You might be able to connect them together in a way that meets what you want to do.

I'm thinking of doing the TGO Challenge next year but that's not nearly in the 800-mile league. :eek:

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
not sure exactly what you have in mind, Turkey offers some nice walking, the ''Lycian Trail'' and the coastline from Dalyan to Fethiye walking east is absolutely fabulous, the locals are very friendly and welcoming, in the forests groups of people live in ramshackle huts with large goat herds, one thing to be aware of is the time of year you go as at certain times and locations high in the mountains in high summer water can be a problem and fires are restricted due to forest fires, there are fire look-out posts in the mountains, i went in May and water and fire-making was not a problem at that time of year as it was not yet hot enough to create a problem (though still very hot), May is a good time to go there in my opinion as it's still hot but tolerable, later on the heat can be uncomfortable and mosquitos start to become a nuisance. You can catch a flight to Dalaman airport. (and for those that have been it's hard not to laugh when the locals tell you their name is ''Farty'', it's a common name there).

PS, oh and it was very cheap but that was three years ago so double-check, flight only cost £85 return then and took four hours from Birmingham, shops supply good variety of food and you invariably get offered a glass of Apple-tea and a seat, shop in Dalyan run by a very enthusiastic walker/mountain biker who is exceptionally helpful and sells guidebooks/maps/Lycian Trail guides on the area but at moment his name escapes me. If you have ever seen the Humphrey Bogart film ''The African Queen'' well the scene where they went through the marshes to get to the sea was filmed at Dalyan along the river there, boats run regular trips along the river taking you from Dalyan to the beach through a maize of marshes and fish traps.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
In my 20s (long time ago now!) I walked most of the long distance paths then existing in Britain and attempted walking Lands End to John O' Groats avoiding roads and "civilisation" as much as possible.
Unfortunately I dislocated my knee after about 1000k and only got as far as County Durham.
Later Walks saw me close the gap up to the Scottish border, then other projects took over....
I have just come back from a successful attempt at walking the Hadrians Wall Path - so now I can boast that I have - literally - walked "the length and bredth of England!"
It is still possible to have "wild" adventure and long walks pretty much away from "civilisation" in Britain, so do not only think of going to forign climes!

Reactions: MrEd
H

He' s left the building

It is still possible to have "wild" adventure and long walks pretty much away from "civilisation" in Britain

Absolutely! Cape Wrath Trail and TGO Challenge (already mentioned) both spring to mind, both are true wilderness treks without leaving UK!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Welcome to the forum. :)

You will probably find some ideas on this thread.

France has an extensive system of interconnecting footpaths, some good for a days hike while others will take weeks to complete. Wild camping is not permitted, however if you are sensible and far from civilization you will get away with a 'stealth' camp. A list of French routes may be found here.

Germany offers the excellent 'Westweg' (Black Forest Trail), links here and here.

Hungary has several well supported and well marked routes, the 'Kéktúra' or 'Blue Tour' will take you from the Austrian border to the north east of the country, maps, photographs and English text may be found on this website.

Romania provides a slightly more ruffty-tuffty walking experience in the Fogaras Mountains of Erdély (Transylvania). This English language website will provide you with photographs, routes etc.

Turkey will give you a real sense of adventure on its long distance paths, the 'Lycian Way' provides a varied landscape and many interesting encounters with man and beast throughout the thirty odd days it will take you to complete. An English language website may be found here.

And there are many more. :D

P

Psy23

Hi guys, thanks for all the info, really appreciate it.

I'm looking into north spain and then trekking into france... thing is... I've always wanted to see the black forest region as well. Might do that next year sometime.

I'm going to look around the long distance trails and do some more research. Essentially I want to do big hikes with lots of camping then rest up for a few days in a B&B or hostel. Then continue... ad infinitum. It's to get a good adventure and brush up on my language skills.

The desire is to travel far... travel light... travel cheap! :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Have you thought of the Camino de Santiago de Compostella(sp) - there are start points all over Europe inc Germany - not just in France...

P

Psy23

Yeah, the pilgrimage routes seem the best for me...

Once I get from north spain to the border of france I can get onto http://www.gr-infos.com/gr65e.htm...

I'm going to buy some maps first and work out how long each leg will take... I want to take a month out basically so I have plenty of scope.

Is late august and well into september a good time to do this?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Is late august and well into september a good time to do this?

It is the best time to do this, especially if its very late August as the French summer break will be over. :)

The GR65 is a fairly busy route these days, even in September, if your looking for something a little rougher (and quieter) look into the Vézelay or Arles routes to (or from) Santiago. Map here.

Alternatively you might choose something more wild. :D

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Don't know if expedia are still doing them but, they did have a route away from civilisation through Europe starting in Spain all the way into the Balkans and beyond assuming you can get the visas organised prior to leaving. Essentially a hiking trail but with hostels every 100kms or so for that much needed clean up and break.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
don't know much, but you really want to check out nick crane's book. clear waters rising. great read about a trek from the northwest of spain to istanbul. much of it along the pilgrim routes.

nick crane = tv's mapman, coast presenter. and he's done a few other outlandish trips too.

cheers, and.

Reactions: oldtimer
P

Psy23

Lots of good stuff here, thanks guys.

I speak reasonable french but I don't speak any spanish... I get the impression this will be a bit of a problem in the spanish sticks.

I've decided the journey will be from La Rochelle to Saint Jacques de Compostella which is roughly 550 miles.... I think i'll have to use the bus occasionally! 18 miles a day seems excessive even for me...

Just got to find someone barmy and spanish speaking now!

stewsam

Jun 17, 2009
West Yorkshire
There's a really good gr route on corsica which is fantastic at the end of summer, (it's too hot in august)

I'd recommend the gr10 coast to coast, the guide by Douglas Streatfeild-James is considered the best one, along the trail is the peak Vignemale, the highest in the french pyrenees also, the awesome odessa canyon it's pretty remote so you need to be prepared...

You can usually get really cheap flights to Lourdes and bus up into the mountains...

atraildreamer

May 10, 2006
Providence, RI, USA
If you are interested in coming over and hiking the Appalachian Trail check, this guide out.

I have one and it is the best AT reference I have ever seen.

All the hard work, (except the walking!
smile.gif
), has been done for you:

https://www.whiteblazepages.com/store/

Reactions: Janne

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE