London riots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Not the best of human nature Shewie not the best. Have you seen some videos of supposedly rioters forcing people to strip naked? I'm not sure if those are true or just sick idea of some people to make a fake clip. If true its not good, if false it is tasteless at best.

I'm kind of struggling to see the best in human nature right now. It is making me cynical. Like the shot of a couple supplying police in their area with tea. Part of me thinks it's to try and keep them there to make it safe. I'm not seeing an altruistic and positive act but cynical me has come out and I see self interest where there perhaps isn't.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...I'm kind of struggling to see the best in human nature right now. It is making me cynical. Like the shot of a couple supplying police in their area with tea. Part of me thinks it's to try and keep them there to make it safe...

It's a common practice over here for restaurants to serve free coffee or drinks (non alcoholic) to cops and/or give discounts on the food. As you said their main purpose is to have the police presence there to deter robbery.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Unless your stone deaf I would venture to say you could hear if the area approaching was a dodgey one? Screaming, shouting, smell of petrol in the air, sirens, deaf or stupid actually not to turn around and get the flock out of there.. .

That's a very real possibility; some of them may well be stone deaf. Or live there and have nowhere else to go. All that aside I expect eventually (probably very soon) there will be a curfew imposed and there should be no excuse for being on the street.

T1Viper

Nomad
Sep 24, 2010
Ayrshire
It's a common practice over here for restaurants to serve free coffee or drinks (non alcoholic) to cops and/or give discounts on the food. As you said their main purpose is to have the police presence there to deter robbery.

That happens over here as well, i used to work at a petrol station/service station, we usually had 2-3 cars in every night for free tea/coffee and baked goods.

Just on Sky news, there was NO evidence that Mark Duggan opened fire at police, he was killed with a single shot to the chest.

It has occured to me that the news have reported there was 2 shots fired and one lodged in a police radio, if the fella was killed with a single shot, and there has been another shot fired, is it not possible that the (police issue) bullet recovered from the radio was a ricochet??

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
That happens over here as well, i used to work at a petrol station/service station, we usually had 2-3 cars in every night for free tea/coffee and baked goods.

Is it really common practise? A cop getting free stuff from a private individual for some mutual gain for the individual and the police? Think about it!! ;-D

(Tongue firmly in cheek comment).

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Is it really common practise? A cop getting free stuff from a private individual for some mutual gain for the individual and the police? Think about it!! ;-D

(Tongue firmly in cheek comment).

Yes there are abuses but free coffee/tea in a restaurant is relatively benign. After all if you were a restauranteer would you rather pay a private security firm $30+ per hour for a security guard or spend a $3 0r less per day to have a real cop sitting there drinking coffee off and on. And from the cops side, you're going to take a meal break and restroom breaks during your shift anyway. Who are you harming by taking those breaks in laces that appreciate you. Especially if you do as I always did and leave the waitress a tip at least as large as my bill would have been (a practice most cops in Florida follow)

This particular example isn't a bribe as you suggested, just an incentive to spend your break time at the most economical place.

Last edited:

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches

Just on Sky news, there was NO evidence that Mark Duggan opened fire at police, he was killed with a single shot to the chest.

It has occured to me that the news have reported there was 2 shots fired and one lodged in a police radio, if the fella was killed with a single shot, and there has been another shot fired, is it not possible that the (police issue) bullet recovered from the radio was a ricochet??

I heard the same on the BBC news, apperently the rules for engagement have little to do with whether he shot at them first but more to do with did they consider there was sufficient threat to life for them to discharge their firearms, apparently the officers on the scene felt that in their opinion there was such a sufficient threat. A ricochet does sound likely for the hit on the radio. It would have been a missed shot at the guy as these are Dum dum bullets designed to expand on entry and not leave the person it was aimed at.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...Just on Sky news, there was NO evidence that Mark Duggan opened fire at police, he was killed with a single shot to the chest.

I'll wait for the final results of the investigation. But remember, police don't necessarily have to wait for someone to fire at them; merely pointing a weapon and threatening to do so is usually considered deadly force. I do remember the original story saying that Mark Duggan had a weapon, not that he had fired it.

I do know that I would certainly fire if someone I was trying to arrest pointed a weapon at me. There's no rule saying I have to give them the first shot.

In fact the first rule taught at the police academy (and constantly re-enforced throughout your career) is, "I'm going home alive tonight! Whatever it takes."

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
any chance that you could explain to us all just exactly where the line is between the two?

Simple. I'm not actually giving the owner anything. Just patronizing the establishment. If he gives a discount, so what? Do you patronize shops that give you an senior's discount (assuming you are a senior citizen) If so just what are you giving in return?

The only advantage the owner gets is simply my being there for lunch; I have to eat anyway. Or restroom breaks.

Most departments do have a simple rule though to prevent any single establishment being favored over others. That rule is, "If you see another cop car parked there already, then eat somewhere else."

The rerality is there is actually no place I could eat or take breaks on duty that don't offer said discounts, so where would I eat? When I said it was a common practice perhaps I should have said it's a "universal" practice for restaurants and convenience stores (corner shops/petrol stations)
Taking something value for favored treatment or "looking the other way" or any similar behavior is another matter. as would be doing such favors for family and/or friends.

Last edited:

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
When I worked for local government (parks and recreation 20 years), though not in police work, our official policy was that we could accept minimal gifts equivalant to $5 or less. However, no amount of cash could be accepted. I was often given a glass of tea, water or soda while removing hazardous trees from the borders of our parks adjacent to private property. During the Christmastime, some of our youth sports leagues, that we provided the athletic facilities for, would give my crew fruit baskets as a thank you. All acceptable under our local government's official policy.

Gordy

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
one of the best quotes on local news bloke(looked to be in his 30's) being interviewed regarding some disturbances on a salford estate "its the polices fault its not a police statewe can do what we want" I think sums up the mentality of some people.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Simple. I'm not actually giving the owner anything. Just patronizing the establishment......

well according to what you posted earlier you're saving the owner from having to pay out for private security, surely that's of tangible worth. you're giving a private service, in return for a private payment, in your capacity as a public employee, in the uk i think that'd be classed as corruption but i appreciate that the situation may be somewhat different in the U.S.

stuart

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
The rerality is there is actually no place I could eat or take breaks on duty that don't offer said discounts, so where would I eat? When I said it was a common practice perhaps I should have said it's a "universal" practice for restaurants and convenience stores (corner shops/petrol stations)

You could always take your own or go back to the 'station house' could you not?

Dave

OakTinder

Jul 31, 2011
California
Really go "Daily Mail" on their asses... :D

This is why I'm not suited for the police. I'd be like Mac in this picture:
Image-Predator.gif

Also remember in this scene from the movie... they missed lol

Jock

Forager
Feb 26, 2009
East Kilbride
At some stage the Police are going to have to take of the kid gloves and crush these wee scrotes

A curfew should be issued to clear the rubberneckers of the street & let the Police take out the trash

Once it stops being fun it will stop

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
At some stage the Police are going to have to take of the kid gloves and crush these wee scrotes

A curfew should be issued to clear the rubberneckers of the street & let the Police take out the trash

Once it stops being fun it will stop

the sooner you`s lot get independance the better !!!!

tut tut !!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE