London riots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Sounds good in practice, but the reality is that for one who even moderately succeeds, 10,000 don't and just get by...There are no jobs...poor people don't get papers delivered...

That it is happening in a socially benevolent society is the biggest shock...We do provide free at the point of treatment healthcare, for everyone...We do provide social housing, though that's no longer available for all, but social services will provide rent and rates for those whose income falls below certain levels. We do provide for those with young families.We do provide good free schooling and meals for those in need, and clothing allowances...

drug dealers are the only ones in their society with money. Rolls of money in their pockets...

-I repeat, I never said everyone would make it big, just that they all have an equal chance. And it doesn't matter that the poor don't have their papers delivered. I wasn't talking about being a customer, I was talking about the one doing the job; even a menial job with a strong ambition to advance to better. Even if that particular job isn't available there I'm sure the rich still get their cars washed, their yards mowed, etc.

-As to the benevolent society theory, granted you do provide necessities. So do we although the programs work differently. An example is my daughter; She hasn't had more than a part time job in 4 years. The state provides her medical care and both her sons' medical care as well as housing assistance (all while the oldest son's deadbeat dad is somewhere in another state avoiding his court ordered child support) and the state provides food stamps (actually the more modern electronic form) for her and the kids as well as extra nutritional funds for the infant son.

-No, the drug dealers don't have all the big money; but they DO have all the big money that didn't have to be worked for.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Watched that two dude, true face of there cause, idiots,

I really hope that the Armed forces aren't brought in, as these kind of kids are seen in recruit training centres all the time, cocky know there rights and willing to push the restraint of instructors, but in that scenario they can just be thrown out and the instructor goes about his life, where as when you face people on a base line, the level of restraint shown by soldiers will be equal to the police but when the kids don't back off and think they will just get a shove to move like the police give, they wont, there will be a lot of crying parents shouting bout the terrible treatment of there sweet child when he got his head stoved in and stepped over, as the guys who protect our country do what they are supposed to do, water cannons would be the softer option and more palatable by the public at large, Though if they have been into blacks they may have bivvies and pac a macs so the effect would be reduced maybe a strong mix of Robinsons juice, that stuff will stick to anything!

Gotta agree with this. In any civilized country the police and the military are two separate entities with two separate missions. The police maintain civil order with all restraint due to the populace; the military uses whatever force necessary to obtain it's objective against an enemy force. It's not pretty when they have to be interchanged.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
As much as I wish that was true it just isn't. There is a huge social devide in the UK between those who have and those who don't. Social mobility is at an all time low in the UK and realistically at present there is little hope or future for most of these people...

Possibly true but my assertions were about capitalism as an economic system. Individual social systems within different countries certainly have an effect but that's more of a social cause than an economic one.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I think you could have picked a better example, IBM for instance, Wallmart are possibly one of the best examples of what is wrong with capitalism, anti-union, pushing suppliers to source products from outside the US, tax avoidance, meddling in politics (local and national) etc. etc...

Actually unions are one of the best examples of what's wrong with capitalism.

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
Should this;
... There is a huge social devide in the UK between those who have and those who don't. ...
be;
... There is a huge social devide in the UK between those who have, those who don't and those who can't be ar*ed to work and expect it to be handed to them on a plate ...
Just heard from a colleague that Beatties in Wolverhampton has been attacked and they are closing the nearby ASDA.

Apparently there is a lot of social network activity around Cardiff trying to organise a riot in the city.

An organised riot? It's almost laughable!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Rubber bullets and batton rounds are ace, but iis back to the after effect, they are also very effective at blinding even if skipped off the ground, and looking at the footage there are alot of people just trying to get home who all of a sudden find them selves in a riot area as the groups move so fast...

Very true. It's far to easy to harm an innocent who was just unlucky enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. The very people the police want to protect.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
It wouldn't have mattered who was in power this would still have happened. It's true, innit!!

Someone brought up social mobility. As a country we are one of the least socially mobile of all developed countries. You are more likely to stay at the level you are born into now than 100 years ago. Nice progress we've made. Still no excuse to riot. I can't remember who said this (or something like this) but if you resort to violence you have already lost your argument. The original rioters were not getting any support by rioting if indeed that is what they wanted. If it all started from a demonstration by the family, friends and community of the man shot by police in order to get to the truth of what happened then the use of violence was never going to work for that. Also by allowing it to get big it was always going to get hangers on and trouble makers which it did leading to a riot. If the community leaders who have been interviewed repeatedly saying it was always going to happen knew that then perhaps they should have discouraged that original protest march. Perhaps advised the family and friends to seek answers from the police in person either through direct communication or through a community leader with police contacts. What use are community leaders if they know this could happen but don't do anything to stop it before it gets out of hand.

Of course that is just my opinion and lack of trust of "community leaders" acting as talking heads for the media everytime something happens.

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
Apparently Harrods are now thinking about relocating their exquisite store to Govan in Glasgow, apparently its a lot safer environment and there is a better class of AAA clients.
phil

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Very true. It's far to easy to harm an innocent who was just unlucky enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. The very people the police want to protect.

Unless your stone deaf I would venture to say you could hear if the area approaching was a dodgey one? Screaming, shouting, smell of petrol in the air, sirens, deaf or stupid actually not to turn around and get the flock out of there..

Fire off the water cannons, let rip the rubber bullet and gas the buggers. I've no time for these these ruffians, drop them off on some island off the coast of Scotland, drop them a few sheep from time to time, she how all the 'bros' get on together after a few weeks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE