London Plain?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alex90

Aug 12, 2011
Bedfordshire
Hi folks. Where I work there is loads of medium sized London plain tree's. So having no experience of using them before I just wondered what they were most useful for (fire, carving etc...).

Cheers,
Alex

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I think (not absolutely sure though) that London Plane wood is known as lacewood. Lacewood is very attractive and used in carving and turning. Check with someone who knows more than me though.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
I wondered too about this tree, found an article which mentioned the North Americans drank the sugary sap, couldn't use a link.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
The species in N.America that has the sugary sap is Platanus occidentalis, the London plane is thought to be by some as a hybrid of Platanus occidentalis and Platanus orientalis while others say the London plane is a cultivar of Platanus orientalis.

Ed

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Lacewood is the term used in the UK for quarter sawn plane. If it is plain sawn it is a bit boring to be honest but the radial surface showing the medulary rays is very pretty. It is difficult to cleave but carves and turns well.

Tis also a term for wood from the tree species Cardwelis sublimis

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Tis also a term for wood from the tree species Cardwelis sublimis

Interesting that two such unrelated trees should have timbers that look not dissimilar. Here is your Australian Northern Silky Oak (Cardwellia sublimis)
Northern_Silky_Oak.jpg

and here is what we know as lacewood in the UK quarter sawn London plane (Platanus acerifolia)
09-platane.jpg

Alex90

Aug 12, 2011
Bedfordshire
Thanks for the replies, makes for interesting reading. I've noticed that the bark peels off them to leave a new yellow coloured bark underneath, so does anyone know if this bark is any good for tinder?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE