Lomond Round

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
<pic heavy>:D

I've been eyeing up this trip for years. Used to be a favorite of the local sailing canoe club back in the day. I didn't see any sailing weather but still had a lovely time paddling the circuit.

Starting out from Tarbet on Loch Lomond, much later than I planned to.

LOMOND_ROUND_01.jpg

Snow dusting being laid on the high ground.

LOMOND_ROUND_02.jpg

Had lost the light by Luss but it was a nice calm evening and it takes a long time to get dark on the water so I carried on through the islands over to Inchcailloch then along to Creinch. Hit the beach at 2am and straight to bed.

LOMOND_ROUND_03.jpg

Next morning.....

LOMOND_ROUND_04.jpg

....it was round to Balloch.

LOMOND_ROUND_05.jpg

Then a short portage round the barrier and down the Leven.....

LOMOND_ROUND_06.jpg

LOMOND_ROUND_07.jpg

...to Dumbarton Rock.

LOMOND_ROUND_08.jpg

There you go straight out and join the shipping lane. Sandbanks and mudflats on either side mean you can't get to shore again for miles.

LOMOND_ROUND_09.jpg

LOMOND_ROUND_10.jpg

Stopped at Ardmore to stretch my legs and refit the rudder I'd taken off at the start of the Leven. A breeze was picking up and while it looked nice enough over towards where I'd planned on camping at Rosneath Point....

LOMOND_ROUND_11.jpg

...this was what was heading my way.

LOMOND_ROUND_12.jpg

After a slog round the front of Helensburgh and crossing into a headwind I was shattered. The sheltered bay couldn't have looked more inviting.

LOMOND_ROUND_13.jpg

Had a wee cooking fire below the tideline.

LOMOND_ROUND_14.jpg

Next day I was landbound. The wind was coming up trough the clyde estuary and kicking up the next stretch. Had a couple of walks, caught up on some sleep and generaly just wiled the day away. The wood looked like they have a bit of sycamore problem but it was a pretty enough place to spend some time.

LOMOND_ROUND_15.jpg

Dawn the next day. The problem stretch. :D

LOMOND_ROUND_16.jpg

Round this corner is Loch Long - this point felt like a milestone. At times the Clyde had felt quite exposed but now it was back to steep sided sea loch, territory I'm more used to.

LOMOND_ROUND_17.jpg

The crossing from Cove was utterly serene.

LOMOND_ROUND_18.jpg

Aha, I'd heard there was an archery club over there somewhere.

LOMOND_ROUND_19.jpg

Could just make out The Cobbler way in the distance. Definately had a home stretch vibe from there on.

LOMOND_ROUND_20.jpg

LOMOND_ROUND_21.jpg

Approaching the mouth of Loch Goil.

LOMOND_ROUND_22.jpg

Was only lunchtime but this was the end of the line for the moment.

LOMOND_ROUND_23.jpg

Had arranged to meet up with Gaillainne and Shewie for the weekend. :)

LOMOND_ROUND_24.jpg

LOMOND_ROUND_25.jpg

LOMOND_ROUND_26.jpg

LOMOND_ROUND_27.jpg

LOMOND_ROUND_28.jpg

On sunday I carried on up the loch. Fair chucked it down at times but I was wrapped up well and enjoyed the variations in light of the changeable weather.

LOMOND_ROUND_29.jpg

LOMOND_ROUND_30.jpg

Arrochar at last.

LOMOND_ROUND_31.jpg

Job done. From here it was only a mile and half back to where I'd left the car at Tarbet. I'd planned to walk but Stephen met me there and whisked me over meaning the canoe was only unattended for five minutes. An effortless finish to an excellent wee trip, cheers again mate!

LOMOND_ROUND_32.jpg

:)
Josh

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What a blast from the past :D
My Dad loved those waters, I think we spent more weekends down there that we did at home some years :D

Josh that looks brilliant jaunt :D The canoe looks beautiful :D

Thanks for sharing,
Mary

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Fine piccies Josh, been looking forward to seeing them.

I see what you meant now regarding the open crossing, that big water has a kind of eerie feeling about it.

Great trip, hope to join you next time you tackle it.

No pics from me from the weekend, I'm getting real lazy at the moment.

(Tick count still remains at one for me, how many more did you find Gailainne ? :D)

Gailainne

Life Member
Epic journey mate, especially in a 13 foot canoe, and some stunning photos, that's some big water you braved, I have some video of that tireless stroke of yours, as you travelled up Loch Long, I'll see if I can crop and post them, including your finish at Arrochar. It was a pity we didn't camp at Loch Goil, but like you said, why chance it, there's always next time.

Rich, tick count was eight last night in the shower with I'd hoped a final one on a toe, however I found another this morning in my neck, so total; nine embedded and one crawler.

Stephen

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
What a journey! Lovely pictures too. Is that a picture of bubbles in Loch Long? Seem to be lots of places 'long the loch with bubbles coming up, even on the shore at Arrochar. Anyone know what they are?

cheers,

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Freshwater springs. Worked their way down and popped out at the shore.

There's one out on Loch Fyne where you just create a hollow in the pebbles roundabout and within ten minutes or so it's washed itself salt-free and is ready to drink from.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Hey Josh mate, what an inspiring journey to make!, great effort, i take it the back is better now?

What was the leven like to paddle on?, i have lived only 10 yards from it for the last 17 years and have never paddled it, in winter it flows really fast and in summer it really can be shallow at points, how did you find it going wise and what conditions, height of water did you have etc...

Col....

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
It's about 60 miles.

The Leven was a pussycat Colin, grade 1 all the way. Bit shallow in places but I only had one bump and one scrape so it was easy enough on the varnish.
There was six or seven inches of earth showing along the banks up near the start, with three inches or less showing it'd be perfect all the way down. It's all level pebble beds so the extra water wouldn't change the vibe much, just make it deeper and quicker.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
cheers, now look what youve gone and done Josh, now im going to have to try it, please look after my wife and kid when i dont make it back, i reckon it would only take me 6 months with my limited paddle skills. I take it you wisely used your double paddle? what about sails did you use them or was it just good old graft on the paddle

Col

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Just watch yourself on the sandbanks out on the Clyde. Don't try to cross them, if you do hit one back out quick and bear in mind that some of them are mud.
I could see them from the channel. I'd hit Dumbarton about two hours after high tide and there was a noticable ripple where the tide was ebbing over the banks.

And mind give Coulport a wide berth.

Wasn't in any hurry. Wasn't really paddling any quicker than I do with a single paddle, that boat just suits a double better.
Didn't put the sail up. Was no wind most of the time and when there was it was either gusty or from the wrong direction.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Great stuff Josh.

I've been thinking about that trip for a while now, but as my trips to Scotland are always accompanied by strong winds I've never made it. How long do you think it would have taken you in good conditions from the mouth of the Leven to Loch Long?

Cheers, Michael.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Solo, in no hurry and and cutting straight over at gareloch, about five hours or so. The tide's only a trickle so it's not pushing you along much.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE