lofty tool v chris caine tool

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lovatscout

Dec 19, 2011
Huddersfield
if this argument has already been done then i do apologise
but has anyone got any experience or got anything good to say aboot either tool?
it seems ones the clone of the other and visa versa
would i buy one hmmmm thiking seriously about it
done the you tube vids etc etc but no one really seems to give an honest opinion and i know you guys will
cheers in advance
lovatscout

If you want a chris caine i would try and get an older A Wright version not the new Staniforth one as they changed the plunge cut n the grind to bring more cutting edge closer to the handle which IMO makes a weak point which can fail dramatically

[video=youtube;3C9bPJoALas]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C9bPJoALas[/video]

and the replacement wont work if you dont fix the design fault

[video=youtube;ePONOyQewn4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePONOyQewn4[/video]

Parangs have an un hardened and unsharpened neck and feathered plunge for a reason ;)

ATB

Duncan

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
It might also be worth having a quick look at Ben Orford's version of this sort of thing. They are beautifully made and work well.

It might also be worth having a quick look at Ben Orford's version of this sort of thing. They are beautifully made and work well.

saw those at he Knives show that are a much smaller knife than than the Chris or lofty and do have a thin Neck But Ben is probably more on top of proper heat treatment
but then it is twice the price as you would expect from a Custom over a factory made

ATB
Duncan

lovatscout

Dec 19, 2011
Huddersfield
I understand most of what's being said but again why do bushcrafters constantly persist in braying knives and parangs with logs? At end of day they are not designed for 5 6 inch logs? At a pinch 3 inch perhaps if your gonna process timber that thick use an axe and a wedge. I've never understood why bushcrafters use the process of battening massive logs with a knife might just be me but I wouldnt even start it. Parangs surely are made for limbing and cutting brashings and poles for shelters etc. am I missing the point? Is it a macho thing to see how thick a log can be split? could someone be kind enough to explain. Shame about the took.breaking tho IM sure that shouldn't have happens even after a beating.
Cheers for now scout

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I wouldn't spend my money on either. Too much variation in production standards for the price you pay on both the Caine tool and Lofty tool, and I have quite a bit of first hand experience with both things. Much better putting your money into a Dorset Woodland Blade Design. You know you are getting a quality blade without the blind lottery you get with the other two.

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
I have held,tried and own a few Parang's I was recently at Dorset Woodland Blades and saw Duncan's (FGYT) Jungle Parang working hard to convince SHMBO that I NEED one, before buying anything else at least look see.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE