Locking mechanisms on victorinox SAKs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scorpion

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2009
Manchester
i now that victorinox do two series of the same knives but with different locking mechanisms and was wondering what mechanism is the better of the two, im considering buying a trailmaster or a rucksack for my next knife, they both have the same features but they have different locking mechanisms, what are your opinions on the two

thanks

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
The trailmaster looks like it's got a liner lock, which is great for one handed opening as the blade doesn't have to be very tight to lock tight, unlike most lockbacks where the spring is always putting pressure on the blade. The rucksack has a locking mechanism I'm not familiar with, unlocked by a little slide on the side of the handle. Doesn't look worth having to me, I don't personally trust plastic parts on a locking machanism nor do I want it directly under my hand while using, where it may be accidentally released. I've never used either of them, though, so they might both be rubbish or both might be great. I'm sure the rucksack will be better than it looks to me, Victorinox tools often are better than they look in my experience.

Personally I'd say go with the trailmaster, if that is the case and it does have a liner lock. However, I much prefer lockbacks myself, two-handed opening though they are. In my experience it tends to be better at turning a folder into a fixed blade when open.

Pete

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
The trailmaster looks like it's got a liner lock, which is great for one handed opening as the blade doesn't have to be very tight to lock tight, unlike most lockbacks where the spring is always putting pressure on the blade. The rucksack has a locking mechanism I'm not familiar with, unlocked by a little slide on the side of the handle. Doesn't look worth having to me, I don't personally trust plastic parts on a locking machanism nor do I want it directly under my hand while using, where it may be accidentally released. I've never used either of them, though, so they might both be rubbish or both might be great. I'm sure the rucksack will be better than it looks to me, Victorinox tools often are better than they look in my experience.

Personally I'd say go with the trailmaster, if that is the case and it does have a liner lock. However, I much prefer lockbacks myself, two-handed opening though they are. In my experience it tends to be better at turning a folder into a fixed blade when open.

Pete

I know someone who has the rucksack, and he seems to have no issue with it. as far as I can tell the locking mechanism has to be deliberately placed on, otherwise the blade functions in the same way as a non-locking slipjoint. you can also use it to lock the blade closed irrc.

not all lockbacks are 2 hand opening, some models (although not victorinox) allow you to open them with one hand, either with minor modification (some older designs needed an add-on thumbstud) or from stock.

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
I have an SAK rucksak and the lock is always on if the blade is open, and you can't lock it closed. I've used it for years and it's a great knife. I'm sure your trailmaster will be good too though. I don't think you can go wrong with an SAK.

Cheers,

Magentus

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
I've got one with the sliding lock. Personally I think it's a weak point, and I've removed it because it started to stick in the locked position.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I have both. I prefer the liner lock but I know lots of people with the sliding lock that have never had a problem with it. Both of these locks are "insurance" locks, as the blade does not swing free like a typical liner lock. They all have backsprings that hold the blade open and closed.

This is my favorite SAK locker.

trekker1b.jpg

littlewolf

Feb 16, 2009
England
I've owned and used a Victorinox Hunter for three years and never had a problem with the slide lock. It has a back spring to hold it in place as well as the lock and it's an excellent tool. I carry mine every day and regularly use it at work (I'm a carpenter and plumber) and I'd recomend one to anyone.

Infact I'd go as far as saying it's an good alternative to a fixed blade for everyday carrying and Bushcraft.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE