Loch Shiel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Looks like you all had an awsome trip, great pics, they give me a far better idea of an area I've always loved - wild as it gets - looks like there's plenty of good potential campspots - thanx for sharing, I've always looked at Loch Sheil when planning my summer trip but ended up going elsewhere, - the SCA guidebook mentions the midges very specifically - greatly encouraged by your midge free experience.

I think it's the fact that there are no roads to speak of nearby, Shiel really gives you that wilderness feeling (at least until you reach the bottom end).
Get it done Davy, you won't regret a second of it.

Gailainne

Life Member
<snip>.....greatly encouraged by your midge free experience.

Definitely not a midge free expedition, first night was fine, there was enough wind to keep them at bay, but the next morning was calm and they were out in horde's, literally ! We broke camp as quickly as possible to get out on the water, poor Josh was the last to get off the beach, as he said at the time, "I got your two's share as well" :mosquitos: not funny.

We stopped further on for breakfast, it was still calm but the midges were not such a problem, even so I retreated to the water to finish my coffee.

As Josh said the second night was midge free, lovely little beach which I would have gladly stayed another day on.

If fact we didn't see any midges till the last morning in Loch Moidart, it was very calm when I got up, I guess 7:30 and the midges were out in numbers, they thinned down as the wind got up, so we stayed for a good breakfast before setting off.

Meant to say, I'd do it again in a second, it was a magical place, well worth all the aches and pains :eek:

Stephen

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Cheers Gaz, the castle is called Tioram, it's on Loch Moidart and there's a causeway exposed at low tide which you can walk across for a mooch about. I'm pretty sure you can park up there if you come down the road from Acharacle.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
My camera has a setting specifically for them. It shows a bit of your last photo down one side and you line up the next one to match.

It also locks the exposure to the first photo so if you're doing a full 360 it's worth lining up the first one and doing the half-depressed button bit to autofocus then holding the button there and spinning round. Sometimes you'll find the trees or hills are too dark or the brighter areas are washed out when you get to them. If so choose a slightly lighter or darker view as your first image and try it again.

You can take them with cameras that don't have an assist function too, it just takes a little more mental discipline. :) Use manual mode so your exposure is locked as mentioned.

Other tips:

Turn on gridlines or a bounding box(if your camera will let you) to help you stay level, the wonkier the assorted horizons are the more you have to crop off the top and bottom of the finished picture.
Wonky horizons make things harder in the stitching software too, they induce waves that are a pain to sort, you're sometimes best taking [a copy of] the images through photoshop and rotating/cropping/saving them first to get them level.

My current camera is set to 50% overlap, my last was locked at 20%. It means 12 pics per rotation instead of 8 but I reckon it's worth it for the ease of leveling the images. I also have two 360s which are missing a few degrees because the canoe was rocking and one bit of forested hilltop can look surprisingly like the next sometimes. I doubt that would have happened if the overlap had been higher.

Stiching software enjoys woods a lot more than lakes. ;)

PTGui walks all over any of the free stitching software(and any of the Pro versions I tried as well). Switching to it was like an electronic breath of fresh air.

If you're trying it and get into any bother feel free to give me a shout.

Muchos gracias, amigo.

I think I need a new camera...

Gailainne

Life Member
A couple of my photos, plus some exports from memory map of the route we took.

1st2nddays.jpg

3rd4thdays.jpg

First day camp
IMG_2099.jpg

Later on that evening looking down the Loch
IMG_2101.jpg

The second day, wind had dropped (no sailing:(), and the clouds came down, at least it had stopped raining.
IMG_2106.jpg

This is Eileanan Comhlach beside Gaskan, there was a house with people staying, so we moved on, lovely area and woodland though, big old oak beside the water and the woodland was full of wild flowers.
IMG_2110.jpg

IMG_2112.jpg

I took a bunch of videos, but they are not that good.

[video=youtube;Hso0AHlbXCQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hso0AHlbXCQ[/video]

Last edited:

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Got round to stitching up the full panoramas from the trip. Click pics for bigger images.

Gaskan

Camp 2 everyone seems to be calling it. The nice one.

The remains of St Finans.

Where we stopped for a breather on the headwind stretch.

The castle out on Loch Moidart.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Those are stunning Josh, I need to get me one of those clever cameras me thinks.

What MP is your camera ? Do you reckon they'd blow up well enough to print on a large scale ?

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
It's an 8mp camera.
The originals are in the region of 22000 x 2200. At 600dpi they're 3' long by about 4" high.

I'll stick them on a disk for you to play with. :)

Mike Tomkies would FREAK if he saw this! The poor guy spent the best part of his life here before things went pair shaped and he was at pains trying to keep his place special and not named in his books for that reason. Yeagh I know the boat trip on the loch tells you when you are on it etc...but this does'nt sit well with me. It shows a real misunderstanding of keeping things subtle/respectful like the way he intended when his "Wilderness" cottage is marked on a map...rant over folks, shaking my head in disbelief again!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Mike Tomkies would FREAK if he saw this! The poor guy spent the best part of his life here before things went pair shaped and he was at pains trying to keep his place special and not named in his books for that reason. Yeagh I know the boat trip on the loch tells you when you are on it etc...but this does'nt sit well with me. It shows a real misunderstanding of keeping things subtle/respectful like the way he intended when his "Wilderness" cottage is marked on a map...rant over folks, shaking my head in disbelief again!

Also shaking my head in disbelief (again) !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE