Loch Long

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Just got back from a couple of nights out on Loch Long. I had a new boat to break in and the barnacles and limpets made a good job of doing that :rolleyes:

I did something really dumb after getting up there which meant I lost half a days paddling, not telling you what though :eek:

So some pics ....

Getting loaded up at 05:30 on Friday morning
DSC01677.jpg

View from the fire on night one
DSC01679.jpg

Shots of camp in the morning
DSC01681.jpg

DSC01683ps.jpg

A few "new boat" shots
DSC01684.jpg

DSC01685.jpg

DSC01686ps.jpg

DSC01687.jpg

DSC01688ps.jpg

Stephen off for a bit of fishing
DSC01689ps.jpg

DSC01690ps.jpg

Me and Josh went for a tandem trip up to a nearby bothy and got to paddle with a bunch of porpoises (we think). No porpoisesy shots from me but Josh got some crackers.
View back to camp
DSC01692.jpg

DSC01696ps.jpg

DSC01701.jpg

Packed up and away this morning, gutted as usual
DSC01703.jpg

DSC01705.jpg

I think Josh and Stephen got some better pics of what we got up including processing some pine resin using a couple of different methods and the porpoise pics are beauties.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Nice one Shewie, looks like a lovely spot. Only bit I know up that way is right at Arrochar. Where was your put in? Oh, and ya gotta tell what ya did... what ya forget, not your paddles or PFD?

Cheers,

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice one Shewie, looks like a lovely spot. Only bit I know up that way is right at Arrochar. Where was your put in? Oh, and ya gotta tell what ya did... what ya forget, not your paddles or PFD?

Cheers,

We put in just past the Finnart depot on the road to Arrochar, there's an old red phone box with a layby just after. We pretty much headed straight across but there's Loch Goil just a short paddle to the south or the west side right up to Arrochar looks like it could be nice.

I had all my kit mate, no problem there :eek::D

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Poor wee forlorn numpty.

LLONG_APR_01.jpg

A bit later and a much cheerier numpty altogether. :)

LLONG_APR_02.jpg

As is quite common where we stopped had an existing ring. Needed a quick tidy but was a nice spot once cleared up a bit.

LLONG_APR_03.jpg

A melting mess that was just up the hill a bit.

LLONG_APR_04.jpg

Looking down the loch.

LLONG_APR_04a.jpg

LLONG_APR_05.jpg

The variety of mosses was eye-catching.

LLONG_APR_06.jpg

LLONG_APR_07.jpg

LLONG_APR_08.jpg

The whole hillside is one big lump of schist and quartz. The quartz seams were more like slabs in places. Bloody rhodies are everywhere.

LLONG_APR_09.jpg

Dropping back down to camp.

LLONG_APR_10.jpg

Cleaning up some resin. Stephen went for using a pot lid that was among the discarded junk......

LLONG_APR_11.jpg

LLONG_APR_12.jpg

....while Rich went for the beer can approach which was a little more refined and resulted in a cleaner product.

LLONG_APR_13.jpg

LLONG_APR_14.jpg

LLONG_APR_15.jpg

Both had their moments early on.... :D

LLONG_APR_16.jpg

LLONG_APR_17.jpg

....but done the job.
Oh aye, the pumice, that was an unusual sight. Appeared to be a fair bit of it kicking around.

LLONG_APR_18.jpg

We had a seal for company.

LLONG_APR_19.jpg

Groups of eider ducks wooing and cooing. They were about all weekend and their antics gave us a good giggle.

LLONG_APR_20.jpg

Anyone know what these are? They were wee cuties, about five or six inches long.

LLONG_APR_21.jpg

Our porpoisey pals. Stephen and I had watched them patrol the loch on friday and it was great when they appeared again while we all just happened to be out and about in the canoes. The consensus was that there were about seven of them.

LLONG_APR_22.jpg

LLONG_APR_23.jpg

LLONG_APR_24.jpg

The local shellfish made up for the lack of anything biting. Back at put-in we were blethering to some of the divers and they hadn't seen any fish either.

LLONG_APR_25.jpg

LLONG_APR_26.jpg

But we still had a grand time.

LLONG_APR_27.jpg

:)
Josh

WOW!! Fantastic photos Shewie! Thank you very much for the short mental vacation! I think I'll have to go back through those a couple of times :)

You guys are killing me with all of the canoe pics, I'm still hunting for one I like that I can afford.

By the way, I love the car, wish that model V.W. were available over here!

Gailainne

Life Member
Excellent weekend, cheers guys, Saturday was a really nice day, Sunday was a bit dreich, even so the clouds and mist made for some very atmospheric pictures. I dont think mine are in the same league, but I'll post my pics tonight, BTW anyone else pick up any ticks ? I found 2 when I got home, guess its time for the permethrin.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Great stuff guy's thanks for sharing, and Gaillianne, its the start of tick season,so no surprise you picked them up were they nymph's or adults? and had they attached themselves into you or were they on your clothes?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
rich, did you paddle into restricted waters and get arrested by the marines?

If only it was that exciting, no numpty here managed to lock his keys in the car for the afternoon :banghead:

My stupid remote lets me open the boot but the doors remain locked. I was getting my wet gear on and accidentaly let the boot lid drop when my key was sat on the parcel shelf :censored:

I had the AA out but they couldn't get in, they suggested trying something daft with my spare key in Leeds and a digital phone but I wasn't that confident, plus the five hour wait until the mrs got home was just too much.

I rang VW and fortunately they sent out their roadside assist guy who literally took about 5 seconds to jiggle the lock and I was in.

I seriously thought I was going to have to put a brick through the window and drive the six hours home with a major draft in the car, worst of all no camping :eek:

But he got me in and I was never happier to get on the water :canoe:

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Excellent stuff, guys. That's what I call a decent trip.

Particularly like the Bob Special, but I guess I'm biased!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Excellent stuff, guys. That's what I call a decent trip.

Particularly like the Bob Special, but I guess I'm biased!

The Bob's a cracker for sure Doc, it's similar in shape to my Pack which was what tempted me I think.

I had a sneaky go in yours at Derwent Water when Ian was borrowing it last year, very easy to settle in to I found.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE