Loch Lomond

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
Gutted !!!

I`ve got a puncture where the seams meet right on the fold about half way along one of the main side tubes :(

I`ve just tried repairing it so we`ll see how it is later after I`ve scoffed some pancakes.

Sevylor do a seam sealant that repairs split seams.
It could be worth a try.

MickT

ASLAN

Dec 1, 2008
Co Durham, UK
Gutted !!!

I`ve got a puncture where the seams meet right on the fold about half way along one of the main side tubes :(

I`ve just tried repairing it so we`ll see how it is later after I`ve scoffed some pancakes.

I got some from Brookbank online - but when you add on the postage it costs an arm and a leg. You have just discovered why I now paddle a folder. These seam leaks are a real pain. I finished up getting one after another in different places.

Word to the wise - when repairing don't be tempted to quickly to do a test inflate without the boats cover on. I managed to explode a seam doing this!!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I got some from Brookbank online - but when you add on the postage it costs an arm and a leg. You have just discovered why I now paddle a folder. These seam leaks are a real pain. I finished up getting one after another in different places.

Word to the wise - when repairing don't be tempted to quickly to do a test inflate without the boats cover on. I managed to explode a seam doing this!!

Thanks Alan

It`s patched up now and the instructions say leave it for 12 hours so I`ll give it a go tomorrow. Cover back on first though.

Gailainne

Life Member
Bugger about the puncture :( Rich. On the plus side, All those shiney rigid and folder choices :rolleyes:

I was looking at the foldbot Yukon, for around £1400 approx :eek: There are cheaper folders out there, but they are small, 10 ft-12 ft range, I found a maker called Puffin which does a 14 ft for just under £1000.

Against an inflatable Sevylor Colorado at £283

or

A Stearns Cordova Kayak at £340.

All of those will fit in my front boot with ease.

For the moment its a no brainer, inflatable, until I'm sure this is a direction I want to go in.

Cheers

Stephen

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It does look pretty terminal the way it`s creeping along the fold but I`ll see how it goes.

Maybe it`s time to buy a hardshell :)

ASLAN

Dec 1, 2008
Co Durham, UK
It does look pretty terminal the way it`s creeping along the fold but I`ll see how it goes.

Maybe it`s time to buy a hardshell :)

The puncture creeping along the fold describes exactly what I had happen. Fix this one if you can and I bet after a couple more trips the same problem will crop up elsewhere. After a while you start adding up what you've spent on repairs and get a nasty shock.

Folders don't come up second hand very often and if they do, like a second hand car, be very careful. Mine was second hand from a SOTP member. Unfortunatly like all imports they are being clobbered by the exchange rate.

ASLAN

Dec 1, 2008
Co Durham, UK
Bugger about the puncture :( Rich. On the plus side, All those shiney rigid and folder choices :rolleyes:

I was looking at the foldbot Yukon, for around £1400 approx :eek: There are cheaper folders out there, but they are small, 10 ft-12 ft range, I found a maker called Puffin which does a 14 ft for just under £1000.

Against an inflatable Sevylor Colorado at £283

or

A Stearns Cordova Kayak at £340.

All of those will fit in my front boot with ease.

For the moment its a no brainer, inflatable, until I'm sure this is a direction I want to go in.

Cheers

Stephen

I agree Stephen, daft to fork out a huge sum if you weren't sure it's the direction you really want to go in. Got my Yukon second hand and expect to have it for many years to come. It does the job for me and blends modern materials with traditional design in an ideal way.

There's inflatables and inflatables though guys and you really do get what you pay for. A really good alternative inflatable is the gummotex palavas for around £600, serious inflatables that shouldn't let you down quite as easily as seyvlors.

My inflatable was a £1000 eurocraft made from hypolon and these were bombproof, made for serious industrial uses/access.

If folk are after a folder there are some very good Russian companies making stuff along the lines of the old East German Pouch boats, a quick search should bring them up and they appear to be good value.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I think if I was going to spend that kind of money I`d prefer to get a hardshell tbh WS

I got the Sevy cheap on ebay just to see how I`d take to the whole paddling and camping thing. Now it seems the price was justified :(

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Shame about the puncture Rich makes me worry about mine now!!! I wonder if i got you to sign a statement saying what has happened to yours I might be able to talk swmbo into letting me buy a new shiney toy???

Andy
PS I have just been told that my scout trop has 2 15ft canadians that I can use whenever I want so that could come in useful for the odd trip.

I think if I was going to spend that kind of money I`d prefer to get a hardshell tbh WS

I got the Sevy cheap on ebay just to see how I`d take to the whole paddling and camping thing. Now it seems the price was justified :(

Don't write it off yet bud, seriously try and get a hold of tearaid, you get one kit for pvc and almost anything and the other specifially for vinyls. The kit is around £6 and they are essentially patches and a strip of tape which is meant for sealing awkward hooes and is pressure tested for inflatables. I would try that in addition to glueing the seams back together. It should give you a very good repair.

WS

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
My mate had the same grief with regular splits on the wee Sevylor(same place) while I didn't have any despite using it the same amount. Thought I had a good 'un but it went almost as soon as Aslan took it as a replacement. :eek:
Scott took to patching his with the kit he had lying around for the dingy. The patches are tougher and bigger. It's still on the go after half a dozen patch jobs.
The Colorado is a big step up, have paddled both it and a Palava now and can't decide which I preferred. I like the hull shape of the palava but I really like the seats on the colorado.

Mind the offer of a loan stands guys. Especially for Lomond - I can drop either of my canoes up the lochside anytime and pick it up afterwards.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
My mate had the same grief with regular splits on the wee Sevylor(same place) while I didn't have any despite using it the same amount. Thought I had a good 'un but it went almost as soon as Aslan took it as a replacement. :eek:
Scott took to patching his with the kit he had lying around for the dingy. The patches are tougher and bigger. It's still on the go after half a dozen patch jobs.
The Colorado is a big step up, have paddled both it and a Palava now and can't decide which I preferred. I like the hull shape of the palava but I really like the seats on the colorado.

Mind the offer of a loan stands guys. Especially for Lomond - I can drop either of my canoes up the lochside anytime and pick it up afterwards.

Was it the Palava that guy had who popped in while leaving on Saturday morning ? From what I saw of it it didn`t look to have as much room as Andys` Colorado.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I was off for a wander at that point and only seen him from up the hill as he was clearing the islands. There are others around of a similar design and that one did look a bit short.

The palava is slimmer but longer. Don't think there'd be much in it capacity-wise. Palava struck me as more suited to tandem but I only had a five minute hurl in one at Inverary while the owner had a spin in the pack.
In rough stuff I'd rather be in the colorado. It had more of a 'bring it on' feel to it while the palava would have the edge for calm cruising.

Gailainne

Life Member
This is the Palava

gummotex-palava-l.jpg
its 3.8 m lg, only 90 cm wide, Josh its says on the blurb it can handle grade 2/3 rapids ? your right about the Colorado seats thu they were comfy.

Stephen

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE