Loch Lomond island tour leaving from Luss with an overnight camp on inchconnachan.

Bay on Northwest side of Inchtavannach.
LochLomond005.jpg
Inchtavannach at mouth of the strait...
LochLomond010.jpg
LochLomond007.jpg
Lady Arran's summer house.....a bit of a midge den....
LochLomond018.jpg
Sawmill at back of house...
LochLomond035.jpg
The bay we camped in at southern side of Inchconnachan Island.
LochLomond049.jpg
Unloading the gear...to set camp.
LochLomond041.jpg
LochLomond047.jpg
Campsite...Superb spot.
LochLomond062.jpg
WE did see the odd midge or two!!!...but we made a good choice & had a reliable breeze most of the time.
LochLomond132.jpg
WE chose not to feed the critters as would have almost certainly been a pest if we had...they resemble giant rats...but we enjoyed their company all the same.
LochLomond120.jpg
LochLomond180.jpg
LochLomond139.jpg
LochLomond161.jpg
LochLomond174.jpg
Aclimatising (we dinna go on the watter if we're no prepared tae go in it)
LochLomond209.jpg
LochLomond212.jpg

Click on picture below for video..
.Gps track
LomondTripGpsTrack.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely pictures Davy.

Gei' the wallabys an inch an' they'll take ten miles!

Yep..Foxy as hell they are ...we Totally ignored them..."as if they were'nt even there"...& they were just about sitting on our knee....they do eventually suss out that your no use if your not parting with grub....& then.. Pi** off & eat some shrubs like nature intended...I'd say - looking at how tame they are - they get a lot of handouts from folk who don't know the "don't feed the bears rule" though.

Great post Davy, with some cracking pics,the weather looks superb.

Yeh we won a watch mate...The sun was splitting the trees but with a good breeze to keep the old midges down...was wild on the friday though...we had a good old headwind & done some shore hugging on the way back to Luss...still a canter though..highly recommended...especially if you potter about & get out at every nice bay & explore the way we did...copped a great but very short lived view of the mighty osprey as well! Superb

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Beautiful :D
Looks like a really good trip :approve:

I do like the kayaks :) (waits to get shouted down by the Canadian canoeists :rolleyes, but I've couped in that loch and it's damned cold ) amazing amount of kit they hold :D

Thanks for sharing :D

Cheers,
Toddy

Beautiful :D
Looks like a really good trip :approve:

I do like the kayaks :) (waits to get shouted down by the Canadian canoeists :rolleyes, but I've couped in that loch and it's damned cold ) amazing amount of kit they hold.
Cheers,
Toddy

Yeah good boats, they just get better with every trip. The northshore is a medium volume boat carrying loads of gear, my bro has never actually manged to fill it to capacity despite taking along everthing he thinks he'll need including on most trips a bag of logs!!. The Icefloe is a long range expedition kayak which carries an obscene amount of gear & I always have a fair go at filling it out - the front hatch at 55 litres is usually home to my very basic but bombproof 4 man - force ten hotel - complete with extended porch!!! - great if the weather turns nasty. The rear comparment is a massive 90 litres + a spare 50 liters in the cockpit behind the seat & in front of the footrest. Both hatches are 100% watertight.
You may have noticed the prospector {I think} Canoe passing our campsite in a couple of my photos, to me, a thing of beauty, the very sight of a traditional Canoe on the water always stops me in my tracks,- but I don't really get the big distinction that's made between the Canoe & the {Sea} Kayak...they both share a similarly ancient heritage - the true sea kayaks lines based on the original Inuit design, unchanged for many hundreds of years & reckoned by some historians to be as old as 4000 years!!. I've done some paddling in traditional canoes & the experience is just as rewarding be it {canoe} or {Kayak}...to me its a means to an end, & that end is a remote unihabited shoreline....to the induvidual, its Horses for courses I suppose.
The loch was quite cold but the sea lochs are definately colder by far even in late summer....must be due to the large tidal movements.
We always stick to our motto come rain or shine - dress for immersion & don't go on it if you've not already been in it....me running & jumping in is not just fooling around...we re-aclimatise after every long stop...keeps us sharp. (we keep telling ourselves) - Would't mind a try at a drysuit though as sometimes I dread to dooch.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
God job. I posted a similar comment on another post but I really am envious. Got to do this one day.

Cheers

Sack

PS. What are the tents that you are both using?

God job. I posted a similar comment on another post but I really am envious. Got to do this one day.

Cheers

Sack

PS. What are the tents that you are both using?

The tents are both old Vango Force Ten expedition tents - the big one is a 3-4 man Mk4 CN model, the wee one is a single man. I'd say the big tent is a bit overkill but good if 'weathered in'. I highly recommend the wee one but they are both totally solid once up.
We paid buttons for ours on Ebay but they still make & sell these babies after more than 40 years!
http://www.vangoforceten.co.uk/

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE