2nd auction Loch Lomond

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gailainne

Life Member
Hi all

Thought I’d share my weekend with you. On the 2nd auction for Karen’s run, one of the prizes I bid for was a kayak trip on Loch Lomond with Woodsmoke, this is that trip.

We arranged to meet up in Luss on the west side of the Loch, which we did, and then moved down to the church on the river. I had gone into Aldis hoping a couple of the dry sacks would still be available, but no joy, luckily Woodsmoke had brought spares along, more than big enough for me to get my sleeping kit and spare set of clothes into.

We moved the gear and the kayak across a bridge to the other side of the river as it had a beach where we could load and launch the kayak. Small trepidation here as it’s the first time I’ve been in a kayak, and the only paddling experience I have is a week on Loch Earn canoeing as a kid (read looong time ago). Woodsmoke was great, gentle persuasion and “I would like you to try this” approach. The river gave me an opportunity to get used to the rowing position, and I suspect for Woodsmoke to get an idea of what he was letting himself in for.

Once we cleared the river and was in the loch proper, we headed south towards a small island that the gulls were using to breed on. It gave me a welcome respite from rowing, and was also in the lee of the island so was protected from some pretty decent waves.

Next we passed on the west of the island and headed for Inchtavannach, I must say Woodsmoke did most of the work getting there. We arrived at the North end of the island, the scenery was spectacular, and I’m afraid I badgered Woodsmoke constantly for names of the various trees we were passing.

Woodsmoke said we hadn’t seen the best yet, and he was right, I do wish I had my camera out, but it was packed in a watertight bag in my sack.

We traveled west to the narrows between Inchtavannach and Inchconnachan, that is really spectacular, although we got bounced around by motorboats, I’m afraid I’ve forgotten the names of the water birds we saw, ones I do remember were Mallards, Canadian geese, sandpipers, Goosanders, there were quite a few others, hopefully Woodsmoke will see this and fix any mistakes I made.

There were a lot of pleasure craft on the water and tied up on various beaches, we had traveled to the east side of Inchconnachan, which Woodsmoke said was a good camp site, but others had got there first, so we reversed course and eventually beached on the west side of Inchconnachan in a bay, we were really looking forward to a brew at this point.

Finally some pics 
The camp site
CIMG0039.jpg

Woodsmoke had asked what I had wanted out of the weekend, and I had asked for a basic walk around identifying trees, and other flora and fauna, also we had come to this island specifically because I wanted to see the wallabies with my own eyes, Woodsmoke also said there was a good chance of seeing ospreys (more on that later) other than that a chilled weekend.
We had our brew, and Woodsmoke produced some army rations, something I had been curious about, I dug in to a yorkie bar and the oak cake everyone goes on about, and I must admit very much enjoyed.
We decided this was a good place to camp and set up our hammocks, woodsmokes first time in anger.
We had another brew and then headed off for a bimble, the whole island was carpeted with either blaeberrys in the dry bits or spagmoss in the many damp areas, where there was also loads of sorrel.
CIMG0030.jpg

We also found this little anomaly, anyone care to speculate?
CIMG0002.jpg

CIMG0001.jpg

Reaching the centre of the island Woodsmoke suggested I head around then up to the peak of a small rise, which he said he had had good results in viewing wallabies, he would head out to an old house where we would meet up later.
So borrowed binoculars in hand, trying to stay quiet I headed around then up, before me was a small valley with a rise to the right (sorry didn’t check my compass) I was tracking left to right with the binoculars, when I saw a boulder that wasn’t a boulder, here was me looking for twitching ears, and the first sight I get is of a backside, and behind that was this guy,
CIMG0008.jpg

CIMG0009.jpg

who had probably watched me arrive. (appologies for the crap photos, this is the point I realised, small point and shoot are good for just that, at high zoom they are crap, Dslr on the shopping list) I got closer and eventually was in the middle of 3 wallabies, who took little notice, occasionally checking me out as they foraged or groomed themselves. I must admit I was entranced and stayed for quite a while, just enjoying the experience.
CIMG0010.jpg

The best was yet to come however
Woodsmoke had said that the ospreys arrived about the 20th and there was a good chance we would see them, didn’t I just!, I had taken the bearing Woodsmoke had given me to find the old house, but on the way heard a bird cry I hadn’t heard before, looking up I was amazed to see 2 ospreys,
CIMG0024.jpg

CIMG0023.jpg

it was obvious they were checking me out, so I wondered why, and sure enough there was their nest, about 50 metres in front of me.
CIMG0017.jpg

I must admit a few feelings, thoughts surfaced at this point, the most obvious was not to disturb them, they were obviously agitated by my presence, so I walked back up the hill, and headed west away from them, but the awe of watching such beautiful birds in flight will stay with me for a long time. Woodsmoke phone me, (aint technology wonderful) as I was doing this and I meet up with him 10 mins later and headed back towards camp. A few photos I took along the way
CIMG0014.jpg

CIMG0013.jpg

CIMG0027.jpg

Woodsmoke cooked a very nice dinner, with pasta and some boil in the bag rations; I had a packet of fruit biscuits for desert, although after the first I dunked the rest in my tea. :eek:
The place has a surreal quality to it, not just because you’re on an island, but the quality of the light, the background sounds, the ambiance all make for a very enjoyable trip.
We had visitors, some group that were doing basic first aid and canoeing skills; we had made a fire and boiled our last brew of the evening on it.
Then it was a case of enjoying the sunset.
CIMG0042.jpg

I’m afraid between a closely docked yacht whose occupant was slightly the worse for wear, (and thought spring cleaning at 3:00 in the morning was a good idea) plus a serious dawn chorus (including a woodpecker) I didn’t get much sleep, and finally got up about 5:45. Being on the west side of the Island I did’nt get to see the dawn, but did get to see it travel down the hillside on the Island to the west.
CIMG0043.jpg

Self portrait
CIMG0045.jpg

After another cooked breakfast by woodsmoke (pork and apple bangers) we decided to break camp and pack everything before going on our final bimble, this time we towards the east shore, on the way we saw a wonderful Larch and a red squirrels feeding table, and this amazing Rowan,
CIMG0054.jpg

both the Larch and the Rowan had burls growing, surprisingly both came off with one hit, so they are at the moment slow drying in my shed.
We returned to our site via the shore where we came across this tree, hopefully someone can help ID it.
CIMG0055.jpg

CIMG0058.jpg

Final packup and we returned the way we came. Slightly more exhilarating but fun non the less (apart from the wet bottom from waves coming over the gunnels).
CIMG0062.jpg

All in all a brilliant weekend, really enjoyed it. Serious thanks to wOOdsmoke, cheers mate.

Stephen

Cheers Gailainne! It was a very nice overnighter. Shame you did'nt get much kip (I was out for the count in my new hammock set up!

lochlomondapril07hammock.jpg

The tree that we could not identify that I thought was a cultivar of blackthorn (but did not have any thorns! )-well I'm prtetty sure it's a plum of some sort! (prunus).

Have a good one. I'll see you in a wild place sometime! ;)

woodsmoke

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE