Loch Lomond Advice Please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dexter

Forager
Jan 23, 2007
Birmingham, UK
www.th.ph.bham.ac.uk
Some friends and I are heading up to Fort William over the weekend. Since we're coming from the deep south we thought we'd split the journey up with a bivvy just north of Glasgow.

Does anyone know any good bivvy spots on or near the A82, running up the side of the Loch. We'll be arriving in the dark so it has to be reasonably easy to find.

thanks in advance

Suffolksteve

Forager
May 24, 2010
Suffolk
Hi Dexter,

I don't think the west side of the loch has many places to pitch up on, if you look at google maps with the terrain setting on you will see why and you will also see there isn't much space between the loch and the road. Most people on this site seem to avoid loch lomond, its very touristy, busy with lots of car campers and their ilk, was my first taste of scotland and was way to busy and a bit of a disappointment for me personally.

I think most people would suggest leaving earlier or push on through to somewhere quieter. I am no expert on Scotland, I also hate seeing threads without responses and no reason given.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Most of the best spots are on the opposite side of the loch to the A82, but if its just for a overnighter look out for some of the parking bays once you take the right hand fork towards fort william just by Tarbet, The road goes all twisty and turny so you wont be speeding at this point and should be able to spot the camping spots by the road easily enough, if that fails you have the Ben Glaiss campsite at the end of the loch, its the next right just after the Drovers inn about 200yards on from it. Its a good camp site, used by everyone that does the West Highland Way. Hope this helps.

Colin

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Hi Dexter,

I don't think the west side of the loch has many places to pitch up on, if you look at google maps with the terrain setting on you will see why and you will also see there isn't much space between the loch and the road. Most people on this site seem to avoid loch lomond, its very touristy, busy with lots of car campers and their ilk, was my first taste of scotland and was way to busy and a bit of a disappointment for me personally.

I think most people would suggest leaving earlier or push on through to somewhere quieter. I am no expert on Scotland, I also hate seeing threads without responses and no reason given.

Shouldnt be a problem this time of year its quiet enough, although you are right about the west side of the loch but if its just for an overnighter there are plenty of bits to pitch up on for a nights kip, as long as you dont mind the sound of traffic, but if you do just head up to the head of the loch at ben glaiss campsite as i said.

Colin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE