Wild camp by loch or river suggestions please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Anywhere around Fort William for a riverside or loch-side wild camping pitch, hoping to enjoy a little fishing.

I am heading north after Fort William, so any similarly good spots beyond there would be welcome, I may plan my route around any suggestions received.

I hope I have posted in the correct section, locations need to be accessible by road as camping equipment is being carried on motorcycle.

Thank you all,

rorymax

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
Loch Sheil ...... Remote and atmospheric , when i canoe'd up there we didnt see anyone for three days ..... Not sure about fishing rights though ....

I've just been having a look at the pics of loch shiel on the web. Looks amazing.

May pay a visit in the next couple of weeks - any specific parts better than others - east or west shore, etc?

Many thanks (sorry for slight hi-jack). :)

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
If i remember correctly we started our journey from Prince Charlie’s Monument at Glenfinnan. Loch Shiel stretches South as far as the eye can see and the mountains rise steeply up from the shores. As we look back you’ll see the railway viaduct from the Harry Potter films. Plenty of wild camping sites possibly at Glenaladale or a little further on at Gaskan. There is loads of info online and you could have a look at the link of our trip below on Song Of the Paddle .....

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?4366-Loch-Shiel-and-the-Scottish-weather-god

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Hi,

Loch Maree has a road all along its west bank. There's a campsite at Kinlochewe with local pub, garage and small shop.
There are lots of brilliant wild camp sites in the area.
If you leave your bike secure at Kinlochewe, you can hike in under/towards Slioch along a good track on the north bank of the loch (see map on link) http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/maps/map2_6tg.shtml
There are great campsites in the woodland a little to the southeast of the out wash of the Abhainn an Fhasaigh.
There are fish in the loch - easier from a canoe, but that may be awkward to pack on your bike - and I think that if you follow the stream you'll find trout, but I can't guarantee it. You'd have to ask in the village about fishing permits. Tom and Liz Forrest at Cromasaig are local folks with lots of knowledge if you ask nicely.
Campsites on west side are too numerous to list. If you are prepared to walk a bit up into the Beinn Eighe ish and Glen Grudie direction, there is lots of potential for camping (but few trees).
As always, please think before you pitch.
North towards Gairloch is even deeper into God's playground. Northeast of Ullapool are the tracks across towards the River Oykel. Don't know about motor bike access, but "you can sure lose yourself there, pilgrim."
All the best,
Rob

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
loch Lochy is near FW on the Great Glen and has free fishing, and right next to loch Arkaig, but if your going west loch Morar bay is a stunning beach to camp on.

AYE 18.9.2014

Last edited:

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
I hold you in the highest regard, wonderful, I have only recently signed up here and I have been very kindly helped by so many of you, thank you :cool:

You are very special and kind people, my trip planning is going to be much more of a decision now, a pleasant problem to have.

Any other suggestions would be great, I could have a portfolio of planned trips if I am lucky.

Thanks so much folks,

rorymax

SoggyBiscuit

Jul 30, 2014
Scotland
Last time I was up Loch Shiel access to the road that runs down the south side of the loch was barred by a locked gate so getting the bike in might be a problem. As far as I know fishing at Loch Shiel is by permit only, same goes for Loch Arkaig. I have fished Loch Lochy without a permit and no hassles.... but only caught small pike. There is also a little known loch surrounded by forest near to Loch Shiel that has plenty of trout but it can be a bugger to get to as the surrounding forest is very boggy... mind you I used to take the stealthy route in to avoid a nearby habitation. Malley, the north side of Loch Shiel looks more wild.... I have never explored it but heard there are wild cats....would love to spend a few days on that side!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE