Loch Hourn, Knoydart canoe / camping, anyone been? advice?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lostagain

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2008
Windermere
Hi all (its been a while),

Have been earning some serious brownie points recently and after a friend recommended Loch Hourn I think its a guaranteed trip for a three/four day'er in October (once the midges have flown south for the winter!).

Just looking for a shortish paddle in, then staying at a wild camp for a lazy few days before back to the car for a late drive home.

Have seen a few decent looking spots for a camp (avoiding footpaths and dozens of hikers if possible) one being on the North shore at Caolasmor.

I'm sure some of you will have been before so any ideas, stay away from here, go there advice welcomed.

Lee

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
It's a good trip. See my trip report here:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30727&highlight=knoydart

I found it a good trip for scenery, sunsets and seafishing, but not for solitude. Barrisdale in particular had a dozen tents in the campsite. The estate encourage folks to use the campsite rather than wild camp - of course this is advisory only and has no legal force, and the signs regarding this are put by the paths so are not visible to folks paddling in. If you are a paddler the campsite is not hugely convenient anyway.

Watch the tides at the narrows on Loch Hourn. There are no issues at high tide.

The water at Barrisdale bay is very clear, with lots of bits of shell on the bottom - it feels almost tropical when the weather is good.

Take a cheap rod - there's sea trout in Loch hourn.

Past Barrisdale there is a bit more swell in the sea than you might expect from the map, but it's doable if not too windy.

lostagain

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2008
Windermere
Doc,

Thanks for your reply. Found your trip post very interesting. I'd asked about Hourn as it's remote and a friend recommended (a walking friend, not canoeing) however after finding a few more posts from people who have been I'm wondering if given the tides and wind it may be safer if i stuck to an inland Loch instead.

I have little experience in an open canoe of rough weather and will be going alone so it may be wise to leave Hourn until I can get a few mates to go. I've seen a few posts about Loch Quoich and wondered if that would offer a peaceful camp for a few days?

Cheers,

Lee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE