Loch Etive

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Just back from a trip to Loch Etive - a sea loch on Scotlands west coast near Oban. I took the canoe, but I've posted here rather than on Song of the Paddle as the trip could easily be made on foot - there is a track on both sides of the loch. It is the northern shore that is most interesting as there is much broadleaf woodland.

Among the attractions:

Good, free fishing.
Broadleaf woodland- there are Sessile Oak trees, among others.
Wildlife - I saw red deer and an otter.
Driftwood for the fire.
Easy to leave no trace by being careful and having the fire on the foreshore.
Suitable hammocking trees.
Many burns which have beds of red granite so the water is gin-clear, instead of the usual peaty water.
Fairly remote - I saw two groups of people in 2 days.

Well worth a visit. I know I am preaching to the already-converted, but no-one should come here without a very strong leave-no-trace ethic.

DSCF0958.jpg

DSCF0952.jpg

DSCF0938.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b160/pewing/DSCF0922.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b160/pewing/DSCF0914.jpg

DSCF0911.jpg

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Great pics Doc and it looks like a fabulous place. I'm just back from a few days in Loch Sheil with the canoe. I had to leave earlier than I planned because of the forecast high winds. Any chance of a PM as to where you parked, put in etc. I'll understand if you want to keep it to yourself.:)

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Fred - PM sent. The loch can be accessed from Bonawe or from the head of the loch.

I camped on the north-west bank, which is wooded. Tent camping on the other bank would be entirely feasible.

The wind was very variable with some nasty gusts that slowed progress. I was not looking for a workout so I set up camp just a few miles down.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Looks like a nice trip. I've never made it any further than the slabs, possibly some of the best friction climbing in the country.

We got the same winds. Down on Loch Fyne we had a blustery northerly that had us at a standstill coming out, paddling as hard as we could just to stay still, praying it'd drop off before we ran out of energy.:rolleyes:

David.s

Forager
Jan 27, 2007
Glasgow
www.myspace.com_evil_scrappy
Fred - PM sent. The loch can be accessed from Bonawe or from the head of the loch.

I camped on the north-west bank, which is wooded. Tent camping on the other bank would be entirely feasible.

The wind was very variable with some nasty gusts that slowed progress. I was not looking for a workout so I set up camp just a few miles down.

Is that part not part of the national trust ?

when me and a mate went we had to walk about 6-7k to get to a very small part of woodland just outside the national trust woodland area ?

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!

You'll have driven past my parents house on the way to the pier! Did you see the seals?

Also worth a visit in the Autumn:- Winter morning in Argyll .....

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Great pics Doc and it looks like a fabulous place. I'm just back from a few days in Loch Sheil with the canoe. I had to leave earlier than I planned because of the forecast high winds. Any chance of a PM as to where you parked, put in etc. I'll understand if you want to keep it to yourself.:)

Achnacloich, old railway halt/station, has access to a wee bay.

Nick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE