Locations in canterbury

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tallywhacker

Forager
Aug 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Morning.

I make a trip to kent once a month for a night and have been cycling out to sturry to hang my hammock (i can't stand hotels/hostels and the likes). Sturry is a nice place, however the ride there from canterbury station after a several hour train journey is a bit much at times, especially when i factor the risk of possibly being moved on.

I am looking for somewhere where i can just keep myself to myself, obviously i will need trees, a stream or water source to filter water from would be ideal. I am a very low impact camper, being in a hammock i also don't disturb the ground. I would prefer somewhere closer than sturry, private, nice to view and with permission so i can rely on a site. I expect to need to compromise on something ofc.

If you have a possible solution or suggestion for where i can stay on a monthly basis, either with permission or discreetly, i would be keen to hear from you. I do not know the area very well at all. Other than sturry i have been eye balling sites near the military training area, although i am concerned that it is probably asking for trouble a local did say that this area was often used. I notice there are also some woods heading west out of canterbury but obviously i don't know if these are strictly private or heavily walked etc.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Stu

Last edited:

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hi, Clowes, Lypeat and Thornden wood just north of Canterbury is pretty dense but you need to ride up some steep hills to get to it. I don't know if you'll incur the wrath of the local council if you kipped in there but the odd night once in a while shouldn't be a problem. Failing that Larkey Valley wood South West of Canterbury on the Cockering Road running parallel to the A28 towards Ashford is also a good place. I've spent a few nights up there as a kid. Rather different nowadays though but if you're stealthy camping I doubt you'll be disturbed.

You mentioned the woods west of Canterbury. If you mean Bigbury woods, I think you'll find they get used quite a lot. Someone keeps reindeer up there in enclosures near the Chartham Hatch end and they're pretty picky about people being too near them. Given the choice I'd opt for Larkey Valley woods. You might get the odd horse rider there but it's pretty big and you can get off track easily enough to not disturb anyway.

Sorry I can't offer you a permission sort of place to camp. If I were still in the area perhaps I could ask around, but all my contacts are long gone now. I moved out of Canterbury 9 years ago and now I live in Normandy France.

Hope this helps a bit.

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
I used to live in Ashford. Manys the night I used to kip in the woods / fields out behind the William Harvey.

There are some great stretches of coastline down there too.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

tallywhacker

Forager
Aug 3, 2013
United Kingdom
@biker

Those woods north of canterbury are looking quite a long distance on a map really and i agree it is probably a bit hilly around there too make the distance viable; or at least it will be a more difficult ride than sturry if i remember the adjoining university area correctly.

Realm wood is very easy to get too (probably too easy). It is very convenient location wise but i wander if that convenience is going to come at a price.. I reckon it may be a case of too close and i am likely to be bothered by kids. Although i feel confident i could keep 'kind of hidden', when i rode around it was far smaller than maps suggested. I wander if considering this place is a bad plan? Part of me is saying stupid idea kids will bother you, the other part of me says perfect just hide very well. Do you have any knowledge on this area?

Larkey valley has been on my potential site list actually, as well as iffin and hand woods; i just never got round to checking them out as they where in the other direction to sturry which was my 'play it safe' location. Is larkey valley an easy/enjoyable ride on a bike? If so i reckon i should give that a try.

You have indeed helped, thank you :)

@nickliv

Thanks for the suggestion but that is far further than my legs can be bothered to peddle :D Especially in winter!

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Couple of years ago, Local police discovered a live in bunker behind Asda. As it was on the Camp training area proved interesting, Quite comfy if you ignored the smell. Will be interested to see what happens to the area once the MOD eventually sell off the camp.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE