LK series users

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
How many folks on here use the Swedish LK35's or LK70's?
I ask, as for many years I have used one. However when I first got mine I binned the harness (a horrid and uncomfortable thing). I made up a replacement harness (which fits both sizes), which turns an already very useable pack into a really comfortable useable pack. It increases the airflow and allows the weight to be spread evenly between the shoulders and hips.
As I have said in the past I think the LK's are an ideal pack for the bushcrafter (a sensible size, versatile design and not too tall or wide for moving thru the woods).
Anyway my question is - has anyone else done a similar job on theirs?
Neil

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
I have a Haglofs LK70 bought in Sweden last year and I have used the bag the past months for my usual 12 km strolls.

The pack is very comfortable, I rate it even better than a Vulcan or the Haglofs Alaska.

I suppose that I had the same problems with the shoulder straps at first and switched them with the MOLLE pack straps just to discover that IMO the original straps are much better...

What I found is that the pack needs to be stapped quiet high on the waist and packed properly. With this setup I don't feel the straps at all.

The pack is stable and doesn't rock much, has enough capacity and, last but not least, has the charme of canvas.

Pack of choice for next summer, then I'll be able to experience it's behaviour at 'home'.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I have a LK70. No real mods though. I really like the leather waist belt, nylon buckles always has to be readjusted every now and then. Think the thin shoulder straps are ace too, especially for hunting, no problem shooting with the pack on.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I have the LK70, I replaced the straps with MOLLE straps and found them to be a big improvement.
I can add small MOLLE pouches to the hip belt for odds and ends that I can access without removing the pack. My next mod I have planned is to remove the side pouches and add attachments for PLCE bergen side pouches.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
I have the LK70, I replaced the straps with MOLLE straps and found them to be a big improvement.
I can add small MOLLE pouches to the hip belt for odds and ends that I can access without removing the pack. My next mod I have planned is to remove the side pouches and add attachments for PLCE bergen side pouches.

I have an LK70 too, and that was one of the alterations I had considered as the existing pockets, while very long , are too narrow.
I think I still prefer the LK35 for 95% of what I do (although mine has been modified quite a bit).
The replacement harness I made creates a slightly bigger airspace, which is great as the design allows airflow thru most of the spine area. It is also connected to the hip belt so it can be tensioned, which allows a direct transfer of weight.
I'll see if I can get some pics up.
Neil

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
It'd be great to see some pics of some mods. I have an LK35 and love it but would like to mod it up a bit (side pockets of some sort) I really want an LK70 but just can't seem to find one without ordering it from Sweden.

Mimung

May 30, 2007
Sweden
I use both 35 L, K & 70 L, K. I haven´t modifyed anything. When I was in the service I had the smaller one. I´ve only used the bigger one on "civil hiking". I like them both cause of how they are made. As simple as possible, not much to break down, easy to repair & so on. It´s a fact that many don´t find them comfortable to carry. I´m lucky not being among them who can´t. /Mimung

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
I was out for a bimble today so I took a couple of photo's of my modified LK35.
The problem is I'm rubbish at adding photos to posts.
So I've added it to my Flickr account (its under my signature at the bottoms of this post), so click on it and have a look!
N

Mimung

May 30, 2007
Sweden
@ Neil1

Pretty nice harness you got there. I suppose it´s quite comfy to carry? Fun to see how other re-build/change their gear. /Mimung

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife

Hi Graham where did you get your MOLLE straps from ?

cheers Russ :cool:

retrohiker

Jul 2, 2005
Ohio, USA
Neil's mod is amazing to admire. I wish I had the skills (or courage) to undertake such a complex project! I have a LK35 that I simply moved to a LK70 frame (actually the "medic" frame) in order to get a hipbelt. It's my "go to" pack for all my spring, summer and fall trips. Found it's too small for what I take on a winter trip. I'm still thinking about adding side pockets so I can have easier access to water bottles/canteens while hiking.

I recall the earlier days on this forum when an LK35 pack, a Swedish Army Trangia, Mora knife, sleeping bag/blanket, tarp and wool shirt were about all we needed for a weekend out. The proliferation of gear needs (...or wants, really) for a weekend trip has been interesting to watch over time. Although I find myself just as susceptible as many to the desire for new shiny things, I've recently been migrating back to a simpler "needs" list. Part of the reason I backpack is to relax and enjoy a simpler life. A stripped down gear list sure helps make for a simple camp. That said, each should bring what it takes to them happy on a campout and that will be different for each of us!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE