Living Roofs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
driving back home from Shropshire this weekend I spotted six deer which was nice but I also saw my first 'living roof'. Which just looked like a luscious green mat of thick grass covering a building's roof, which was a modern business-style property, possibly a car-sales room, im not sure I didnt really take in the forecourt. But I thought it was a beautiful addition to the norm of ugly urban buildings. Its the first time I've seen a living roof and it got me thinking not only does it look superb, but it must be great for nature, insects & birds etc. and the environment in general, got me wondering why this was the first I had seen in person, why isn't this be done more often?

I will research into living roofs, but if anyone has experience in this and would like to indulge me in the pro's & con's of a living roof please do! Anyone here got a living-roof on their properties?

Here's one on the top of Barclay's Bank in the middle of the London Docklands:
LONDONINTENSIVE.jpg

In Chicago:
chicagoroof.jpg

Some random ones:
history7.jpg
libp7755.jpg

Ben_Hillwalker

Forager
Sep 19, 2005
Surrey
If you are interested then the big-cheese on green roofs in the UK is Dr Nigel Dunnett at Sheffield Uni. He has a book on the subject: Planting Green Roofs and Living Walls (Timber Press).

In fact, there is a lot of green roof development going on across Sheffield carried out by the GroundWork Trust in conjunction with the Uni.

Green roofs have advantages in terms of insulation (heat and noise), control of rain water run-off and reducing pollution. They also look quite nice are mini wildlife habitats.

They're not especially difficult to put up on small structures, but if you are planning on green-roofing your house then I would talk to an expert first.;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
How cool is that :D

I've got four sheds in my garden.....this is sooo tempting.......wait until HWMBLT hears what I want to do now :rolleyes: :lmao:

cheers,
Toddy

Here's Tony Wrench's fantastic living roof in Pembrokeshire, unbelievably, the Pembrokeshire County Council and Pembrokeshire Coast National Park consider it to have a "negative impact on biodiversity and the environment" and "an unsightly and incongruous appearance" and want it destroyed. :banghead: Some people are plainly in the wrong job.
grapes5.jpg

One day, long after this house has been destroyed, the local authorities will replace it with more houses like this which Pembrokeshire has an abundance of which obviously don't have a "negative impact on biodiversity and the environment" or "an unsightly and incongruous appearance".
50186499420070525074413p120x90photo.jpg

Sep 27, 2007
essex
I live in parts of Scotland for a couple of months each year and next to us we have some cottages with living roofs, and I must say they attract a lot of wildlife. The ones near me have Ravens and seabirds on them most of the time, not to mention the flowers! I have been invited to a talk on the subject later this month!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE