Live yeast

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
:)Piccs or it didn't happen Tom!

Excuse the mess, two smaller ones since devoured. Next ones will be better looking!

imagejpg1_zpsd866230f.jpg

They have risen, for some reason they look shorter than in real life!

ATB

Tom

Rich D

Forager
Jan 2, 2014
Nottingham
they look really good for a first batch.
I don't bother mixing my yeast (dry or fresh) with sugar and water. I crumble it into the flour, mix it about add a pinch of salt and then just add my water to the flour & yeast mix. I dislike adding sugar as it seems closer to the industrial methods used to create awful white bread. I also don't use warm water so no worry about killing the yeast (cold still works but slows the process) For me the slower the prove the tastier the bread.
Have a search for Richard Bertinet on line, the bloke revolutionized how I made bread (not kneading but folding and keeping a very high water content), very french, but very tasty with a fantastic crust.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
As a technological triumpf, the "frankenbread" baked all across North America is no more than a mechanical foam
of a ton of flour, water and possibly a little yeast for flavoring. The dough scaling machines can load the pans for the continuous ovens
so quickly that the foam doesn't have time to collapse.

I make and bake just 2 loaves a week for my use. I'll add 2tbs brown sugar to the warm yeast water as food
for the yeastie-beasties.

I've got Bertinet's book : "Dough" and it has been a great source of inspiration and information.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE