Little sheepskin mittens :)

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
I was in a charity shop yesterday and i was rummaging through their rubbish bin, sad I know but you always get bargains in there :D

I found some sheepskin from a coat that was ripped down the arm so gave the nice lady a fiver for it.

I have wanted some better liners for my mountaineering goretex mittens and didn't want man made fibre again. So I got to make a pattern of the mitts and got at it with my sewing machine. I used a blanket stitch with my superstring poly thread.

The thickness of the sheepskin really tested my machine so the sewing isn't as good as I would have like but unfortunately my industrial machine doesn't have the blanket stitch.

They are extraordinarily warm and allow for gripping of an axe or rope. I can't wait to get on the hill to test them :cool:

Let me know what you think.

ATB
Craeg

Side
63f0588c.jpg

Back

47e0913b.jpg

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
The stitching is bombproof and super strong.

I examined the goretex outers and then sketched a pattern design from that. I wish i had kept the old manmade fibre liners but they went in the bin last year.

Only trouble is I stuck the paper in recycle bin after I finished making them. If you wanted it I could easily draw it again, no problem.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Good idea that :D and I'm astonished that your sewing machine did so well :cool:

Is the pattern the one that has three vertical seams coming down to the cuff ? or did you manage it with two, one at the side and one from the heel of the hand ? Very traditional pattern for sheepskin :D Very practical too.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE