High tech Vintage Traditional

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
I was sorting out my kit; cleaning
Repairing, sharpening etc
I, like many have a mixed bag: It literally starts with my Swedish Military Ruck that replaced a Savotta. There’s paracord, but also Manila.
My USCG service instilled a weird
Dyslexia. I can throw knots blindfolded with Manila and screw up with paracord. I love wool, leather and canvas. My Suunto MC2 is plastic along with the GI two quart canteen.
Some materials defy change, while others are vastly superior.
There are strange bedfellows. A Mylar casualty blanket mates with my sheepskin for a ground pad.
Aside from enjoying vintage ( My next William Lennon’s will be hobnailed to irritate my ultralight hiking peers) anyone have similar
Anachronisms

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
It's a concept that pervades a lot of what we do and use. Take your knife: steel in various forms has been around for quite a while but we currently enjoy using the latest batch of more modern alloys, like Elmax, AEB-L and so on; likewise, the handle of your knife maybe of wood, bone or antler but, equally, it could be G10 or micarta.

Interestingly, I have found myself reverting to more traditional things, particularly when it comes to clothing. For years, when an avid climber, I would wear fleece and Ron Hill tracksters, synthetic thermals and Gore-tex. However, they always felt rather 'airless' and, when working hard, sweaty. Time passed, the climbing faded away into the distance and I realised that wool is the solution to most of my clothing conundrums. I do still use a Gore-tex-type shell for the worst of the wet weather but, ultimately, I tend toward natural fibres, specifically wool. Though there is polyester in my trousers alongside the cotton...

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Definitely old school, ventile, wooly pully, pendlelton shirts, sheffield steel and SAK, make my own leather sheaths, belts and pouches, much more fun that way. Mind you when it comes to lighting I do think LED torches are a great improvement on the old every ready bicycle lantern.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
My poncho literally shredded in our recent rains and high winds; old G I issue well past retirement time.
Boreal Mountain Anoraks in Quebec Canada has one in waxed sailcloth. It’s $299 USD-10X a quality G I type. I’m tempted. My UK storm shield doesn’t come in OD

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE