little rant

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
what can i say? we all have our pet peeves :p

Indeed we do :D . Why do you think these vests exist at all? It's to make some* road users pay a bit more attention to other users. If someone decides to slow down and / or give a bit more room when doing so because they thought it was a Police hi-viz vest shouldn't they have done so anyway?

* Not a crack at car drivers, it's about not reading the road ahead and not respecting other users and their right to be there ~ a bicycle suddenly zipping past a horse can have much the same effect as a car would ;) .

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
If I wear a suit am I potentially impersonating a CID officer, thus breaking the law? No wait, I'm wearing my normal clothes. Am I now potentially impersonating an undercover officer?

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I think the vest is quite clever. Clearly you are meant at first glance to think it's the police so you slow down. By the time you are close enough to see you were mistaken you have indeed slowed down to a safer speed. Everyone is a winner!

Bluezephyr

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2013
Stratton
I'd like to see it compulsory for horse riders to have to use high vis vests on the road, I don't see the need for ones that make riders, cyclists or pedestrians appear (until you get closer and read it properly) to be police orificers.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Same effect as my dad's old sierra sapphire. Back in the day traffic cops on the motorway used to drive these white sierras with the saloon boot just like my dad. He could drive at speed up to cars sat in the middle or outer lanes and they'd move in quick as you like. Made journeys a bit quicker!

I actually think these vests can be used in a slightly fraudulent way. You do see on local news occasionally where villagers on a busy road wearing them as part of a campaign to get cars to slow down. Tricks like pointing a hairdryer at motorists whilst wearing vests like these. Also, whilst not illegal and possibly beneficial to riders they are getting a response from motorists due to the way people misread / mis-interpret these vests. I personally dislike that almost as much as drivers and riders who do not respect other road users. Dislike cyclists riding on pedestrian pavements a hell of a lot more. That's my main rant subject.

Although I do have a problem with traffic officer vehicles on motorways. You're traveling within the motorway speed limit (OK, you're speeding a bit). Then you see these sat on those motorway spots where police used to park with hi viz markings and the word "officer" on the side. Could be mis-interpreted as a traffic cop. When they're mobile going abt 60-65mph they cause other motorists to likewise slow down suddenly thinking they're cops. Causes bunching of vehicles which can a potential hazard. Perhaps their vehicles could be made hi-viz but less police-like.

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
Theres a few sites selling them, some of whom have statements about police consultations.

I dont see the issue myself, if you change your driving as a result of seeing one, surely that means you dont think your driving was appropriate to the conditions?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Its a polite notice, handy in certain circumstances and I can't see any issue with them to be honest. I checked the date this thread was posted as my first thought was its an April Fools' day wind up.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I saw them for sale at the bike show a few months ago. They're blatantly supposed to look like "Police" but you'd have trouble trying to impersonate a copper by wearing one. Clever idea, really

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
So you're saying that when my boy starts riding soon, on a very tiny pony, in some country lanes,

For a bicycle rather than a horse ...

41EUuFBuwrL._SL500_.jpg

Found here ~ available elsewhere too.

:D .

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
Get a life. Anything that makes drivers slow down and take care is a good thing! What we need is more police bumps and cameras about the place and make em pay for there law breaking habbits! And as for those that talk on thier phones while driving... Instant ban and retake the test is appropriate!

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
bit off topic but does anyone else feel that horses have no place on the roads? they move really slowly, leave mountains of cr#p everywhere and then randomly kill/injure people when a bird flies past too close. great in fields and maybe quiet country roads but not A roads and busy cities/towns. at the least the riders should pay road tax to pay for their 'emissions' to be cleared up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE