Little Mask for Carving Hatchet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WoodGnome

Tenderfoot
Mar 4, 2015
Germany/Northern Ireland
Hey there,

I purchased a Robin Wood carving hatchet but the masks were out of stock, so I had to make one myself.

I decided to try a rather trational style...

IMGP0778 by DerWaldschrat1, auf Flickr

The button is a piece of deer antler:

IMGP0780 by DerWaldschrat1, auf Flickr

The mask is secured with a leather lace... some wooden pearls for decoration:

IMGP0781 by DerWaldschrat1, auf Flickr

Here's the hatchet in front of it:

IMGP0782 by DerWaldschrat1, auf Flickr

Tucked in:

IMGP0783 by DerWaldschrat1, auf Flickr

Closed:

IMGP0786 by DerWaldschrat1, auf Flickr

I had to modify it a little later cause I was scared that the leather string holding the antler button could be ripped through (the holes in the antler are too close together), so I added a knob on the other side of the mask to tie the string around. Now the antler button is more of a spacer to guide the leather string closing the mask. Works nice so far...

So, here's the modified system:

P4300006 by DerWaldschrat1, auf Flickr

The other side:

P4300007 by DerWaldschrat1, auf Flickr

The edges have been ground, sealed and blackened:

P4300008 by DerWaldschrat1, auf Flickr

Originally I planned to put on an antique finish but then I just rubbed some leather grease in.

All in all I'm quite happy with the result although I have to admit that the knob solution could be improved - it does solve the button problem though.

Thanks for looking.
WG

Last edited:
Reactions: Brizzlebush

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Is this Robin's new design of carving axe with the Jojo designed handle? How are you finding it?

Decent bit of leatherwork that.

Z

WoodGnome

Tenderfoot
Mar 4, 2015
Germany/Northern Ireland
It is.
I've only swung it a little without actually creating something, but I have to say that I really do like it. The handle just feels as if made for my hands. I have full control from every angle and on every bit of the handle. The old handle had that angular shape which is now gone completely. The new one is rounded and roughed up for the grip - very comfy so far.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE