Lito_brave sparrow

Alfredo

Settler
Oct 25, 2009
ITALY (ALPS)
i all,
we save this small house sparrow from the jaws of a dog just 3 weeks ago

Unfortunately the bite damaged the right eye (now is blind) and the left leg (probably broken, anyway is not right)

We provide him a small house, water and food (mix of boiled egg, bread and some fruit).
So Lito (he’s name) is growing faster, eat a huge amount of food per day (pee and poo are consequently a lot eheheh), he’s learning to fly, and is completely confident on us (he sleep in my hand while I’m at my PC sometimes)

Here two brief videos, he's eating apple
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRFYZ1zz1BE
and doing his daily sand-shower
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abKQWliBZZg

Do you have any suggestion? How we may help him better?
Ciao,
Alfredo

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I suspect that you're going to have to keep him as a pet, or at least give him very easy access to a sheltered safe place.
Being so very young when injured it'll not take it so ill out as an adult would, but I think it'll still leave him very vulnerable.
No idea how others of his kind will interact with him either.
Be interesting to hear what other folks think.

I was refilling the bird feeders this afternoon and realised that there was a very newly fledged blue tit hanging almost asleep on the fat balls inside the cage that keeps the squirrels off them. I was less than six inches from it and he just hung there dozing.
Just like a toddler really, having an afternoon nap :) I was just finishing when he/she? kind of woke up, had a wee shake, pecked a bit more, and flew off :)

It's definitely that time of year :D

cheers,
Toddy

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Young birds are usually fed insects & other invertebrates,( which is why folks you shouldn't leave food on your bird tables during the rearing season, the baby birds can choke) but you're doing a grand job.............looking at him, the name Nelson came to mind ( as in admiral)
You may end up keeping him as he would be at a distinct disadvantage in the wild.

Last edited:

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
I suspect that you're going to have to keep him as a pet, or at least give him very easy access to a sheltered safe place.

And why not? I think thats a great idea. Get a regular little bird cage, leave the door open in the house and let him get on with it. He thinks he's human, so let him be - he won't make it in the wild with a dodgy eye/leg and no parents to teach him how to be a sparrow...

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Blacktimberwolf,
I still feed the birds through the breeding season, but I don't use peanuts at this time. I use the mealworm mix, sunflower hearts, fatballs and the fine seeds mix.

I also open up the compost bins and turn over the surface while I'm working in the garden, it's astonishing how many insecty things the robins find in them :D

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Is there maybe a centre near to you where they look after injured wildlife ? Someone who might have a wee look at his leg ? Vet bills can be expensive but maybe this is something that could be easily fixed for him ? It doesn't seem to be holding him back any from the videos though :D

cheers,
Toddy

Alfredo

Settler
Oct 25, 2009
ITALY (ALPS)
Thanks for your reply.

I tried to feed Lito with small insects, but not luck. He want just egg (boiled), apple or other fruits, bread. Lito is unable to fly like other birds, but developed his own technique that I call "helicopter": as he may use just the left eye, he perform 2-3 circles over the point he decided to land on. Smart animal.
We tried to ask a Vet, but not luck for his eye/leg :-(
Lito don't want to stay in a box, in fact he live with us as a baby, free in safe environment.

I would like for him a life like this

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

at the moment instead his life is like this

He will decide want he want, our windows are always open, so he may stay or not here, we are happy in both cases.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
It's marvellous that Lito survived, Alfredo, but it's a great shame that he suffered such terrible injuries. With those injuries he would have a difficult time surviving in the wild. I'm sure that you understand the responsibility and workload that you have taken on. It seems that you and Lito already have a rewarding companionship, and long may it continue. Food clearly isn't going to be a problem in an Italian household!

Your attitude to the situation warms my heart.

Can I suggest a keyboard glove? :)

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I worked with a chap who had three sparrows he'd rescued and they became pets and lived in a big cage in his living room - they'd dive bomb us and the two cats they had at every opportunity. They also pooed everywhere too though.

My grandfather had a broken window in his shed which he'd never repair as in the corner of the shed was a Crow's nest. For years they brought up their chicks in that hut.

He was an easy going old fella my grandad, been through the war, been sunk a few times and appreciated the simple things in life. But woe betide us kids if we were too boisterous anywhere near that shed, it was the only times I ever saw him angry.

Well done Alfredo I think you're doing a wonderful thing.

Liam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE