Lithium batteries

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I've been sorting out some torches recently and been wondering about the batteries.

Firstly, with rechargeable lithium batteries, has anyone ever had one overheat or catch fire at all? I've avoided unbranded cheap batteries but never had a problem with a growing list of them, and I don't know anyone who has.

Secondly, with the disposable AA, AAA etc batteries, you get non-rechargeable lithium versions that last much longer than alkaline. Has anyone ever had a problem using these in something? Curious if they can provide too much power to some devices or if they are completely interchangeable as I might get a few packets to live with a couple of emergency torches.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Regarding 3.7v lithium ions, they shouldn’t be discharged below about 2.8v. They’re unlikely to catch fire used singly with a normal draw. Problems arise with high draw situations like vapes or powerful torches, and also if the batteries are being run in series to increase voltage. Then a weak cell can fail to keep up and run hot.

Second question, don’t mix batteries. And never mix voltages applies to all batteries so get a battery tester.

For chargers, look on Fogstsr at the XTAR chargers, they differentiate between lithium ion and NiMh, and provide slow and steady charging with a readout.

image.jpg

Reactions: slowworm

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
I love the lithium non-rechargeables for non-parasitic drain items that you just want to work when you pull them from a drawer or the bottom of a pack. They are expensive, but their 10-year life span is excellent for those purposes.

Reactions: slowworm

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE