list to learn

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
ive just had a thought !!
is there a sort of map where you type in your address and it shows what wildlife is around you ??
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
thanks matt, thats sort of what i was looking for but i was hoping for deer and larger mammals to be included
thanks leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
where can i get a couple of carabiners cheap ? they dont have to be anything special as they are just going to be used on my hammock
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
Yeah it has, Errm just the usual really, to be honest not that much bushcraft :( although i have managed to camp out a few times :) At the moment i am trying to find a good sitspot, or even a few so i have the choice when the wind is blowing from different directions, i have seen loads of muntjak and i am fairly sure that they walk from cliff wood to the other wood via a footpath because i have seen their tracks and a den :D but apart from that i dont know what wildife there is around here
Leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
Cool, once i have found a good spot i will make it a bit more comfortable by making a little chair etc, just need to find a good spot
Any ideas what i should be looking for ?
leon

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Signs of animals wise, or for a nice comfy sitting place? For sitting down to watch out for animals, pick something that will be good cover from view. Maybe a hedge that you can sit up against, or even a holly bush that you could discreetly trim to make a little sitting point underneath. You want to be able to blend into the background, so that you aren't seen by the passing wildlife, clear the floor so there aren't any twigs snapping as you get into position or move around. You need to have a clear view, obviously, and also pick an area where you know which way the wind normally blows. You want it in your face so that your scent goes behind you, away from the animals you wish to observe.

You can make a simple enough chair from a sectioned tree, if you see any trees being chopped down, ask the bloke to cut a stump about a foot or so high. Roll it to your site and set it in position, there is your chair! the good thing is it can double as a chopping block aswell to split small kindling on for your hobo stove. The good thing about holly bushes is that there is always an abundance of dead dry twigs underneath, or tinkers sticks as they used to be called. Gather them into a pile ready for your use.

As for siting the actual lookout point, you'll have to learn where your deer goes, when they are at certain places and if they have a routine. Use a diary, that would be best. See if you can distinguish between the different deer, there must be a way of identifying individuals, then you can tell which ones are turning up and when. Try a bit of tracking, not so difficult to do a bit of basic tracking by checking prominent foot prints and scat. This will give you an idea of how many are in the area, how long ago they were there, etc. Maybe after a while, you could take it to the next level and learn how to id which is male and which is female. This can be done by the tracks alone. After a while, you will see more tracks and learn to join them up, you may then be able to follow up on them!

When you are in your site, have a routine. Alawys put your binos in one spot, your brew in another, your book for IDing animals or tracks or whatever in another spot. Then, you don't have to trake your eyes off of the ground in front to be able to grab what you need. Take plenty of warm gear and a torch aswell, the winter is closing in fast!

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
Thanks mate that should be me sorted now :) i know where the deer go (i think) and there is a sort of hedgerow made of trees which runs along the path they use, will just have to find a good little spot somewhere along there.
About telling if theyre male or female from there tracks, i learnt that on my w/e you can also tell if thry are in there prime, young or elderly :D
How long should i stay in postition for ?
leon

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
As long as you are comfortable. You can also tell the sex of Roe deer somehow by the shape of the white patch on their butt! Not entirely sure how you do that, I'm sure somebody will know though!

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
I went today although admittadlly not for long :( i saw nothing but came across some muntjak tracks heading in both directions and some scat, the scat was about 5cm long in total, whats it from ??
scat.jpg

leon

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Well, it looks very similar to what Ratbag pointed out to me the other day: Badger poo! But badgers dig a latrine, a square hole to poo in, which hasn't happened here. It certainly looks a bit oily and I bet it was smelly. Probably one of the weasel family, but not badger which is part of the weasel family, believe it or not!

Let me get my poo book out and have a look! And no, not Winnie the Pooh!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Looks very similar to hedgehog poo in fact, 8-10mm thick and 3-4 cm long. badger poo is much bigger and tons of it!

Deer droppings look like the same shape as the leather bottles that get made by various members here. A bit smaller though!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE