liquid smoke

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

allenko

Forager
Sep 24, 2003
Leicestershire
Hi all

Can someone please tell me where I can get liquid smoke from in the UK

Or if it's unavailable over here what is our equivalent/substitute.

Cheers,

Paul

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I'll check Morrisons out the next time I'm near one. I've never seen the stuff in a UK supermarket. I wanted some for making my jerky taste better but couldn't find it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a seasonal thing ( no pun intended :rolleyes: ) out come the barbies and the supermarkets are full of funny foods :D

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:confused:
I know it was there because I saw it when I was buying dead things for himself to jerkify.....sorry, bad joke; Vegetarians, for the use of :D

cheers,
Toddy

allenko

Forager
Sep 24, 2003
Leicestershire
Well it aint in Tesco's

I've picked up some Cattlemen's Hickory Smoke BBQ sauce (world champion)

I'll give it a try.

Thanks for all your advice.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I've definitely bought it in Sainsbury's. I can't say if they currently have it though, as I haven't looked. If I go to Sainsbury's I'll try and remember to check.

Or you could try Hickory Smoke Powder.

I've never seen it in Sainsbury's and I looked several times. There are products with smoke flavour included, like BBQ sauce etc but I've never seen the pure smoke product.

The postal charges on some of the Internet sites make it too expensive to buy in small quantities.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
As I'm in a charitable mood and a little goes a long way, I'll send the first three people to post in this thread a couple of teaspoons of smoke powder FOC.
Allenko, let me know if you want some too.

Jul 1, 2007
I make my own and it comes from the BBQ pit.

End of the summer, I lay out a foil or celephane on the grill and lightly brush the buildup of the inside. Dilute it with water (and a touch of good scotch. Thanks to folks on your side of the pond for that contribution) and Viola! Liquid smoke.

Jul 1, 2007
Well, Im not trying to start anything but with a name like Ketchup....Just Kidding...Just Kidding!!

If I remember correctly, liquid smoke has a long tradition. I cant place the history off the top of my head, but I can reaseach it.

Also, it occurs to me that it is just another spice that goes in the trade bag. Salt, pepper, sugar, and a ton of other things werent naturally occuring (without alot of work) in alot of areas, so it was traded and bartered. It occurs to me that liquid smoke wouldnt be any different.....and it packs well!

Seriously, I am just being a wise acre, but the points still ring true.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Jul 1, 2007
One thing that helps with "That Smokey Flavor", although it is a bit off topic:

I use Course Kosher salt and smoke it. It travels better than liquids do and if you smoke it long enough, you can add alot of flavor to whatever you're cooking.

Rob

Reactions: rowen

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE