Linux users

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Any other linux users here? Do you also notice issues with vBulletin? I get no wysiwyg support and my new lines are not kept when posting. I notice on other sites running vBulletin I do not have this issue. Namely, BushcraftUSA. I am using Debian "Squeeze" 6.0 and Chromium 6.0.472.63 (59945). Yes, I know it'd work if I used Windows, but I am broadening my skill set to include linux on my CV!

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Yes... a variety of distros, squeeze included, although I've not used squeeze and posted on the forum.

Currently on XUbuntu 11.10 and Firefox 10.0.2

New lines appear to be working fine, so it's not neccesarily a 'Linux' problem - what happens if you add an extra LF/CR - i.e. press return twice when you want a new line? Does it work then?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Ermmm I'm using Linux, mainly because Windows has become so unreliable on my machine. Apart from that I have no idea what the rest of you post meant!

Ogri the trog

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Ah Ok. Multiple CR/LF do not seem to do anything. I think it could be an issue with Chromium rather than linux, but I am not going to be using my PC for a while now anyway as I am out for the weekend. So in the meantime I am on my work laptop...

And I can do new lines!

Guess, mac could count. But also, like Adze said... perhaps it's not a linux issue and I think he's more than likely right. I think it's possibly my browser. However I have tried it in epiphany browser too. Not firefox yet, but I will do. I have just found recently that I have not been getting a long with fire fox very well :(

I was hoping I could find secret vBulletin newline/carriage return characters but there doesn't appear to be any. Not so worried about the wysiwyg as vBulletin code isn't difficult... but writing posts consisting of one big block of text is rubbish! :(

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
No... a Mac doesn't count as Linux, St. Jobs would have had heart failure at the heresy! :D

Emdiesse, there's a port of Firefox which ships with Squeeze called Iceweasel - give that a go before you install Firefox.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
It's nothing to do with the operating system. It's mainly about the forum software and the browser, possibly about tools that the browser uses to help it do what those other packages have asked it to do, and very rarely it might be about your window manager or something like that. Most people don't even know they're using a window manager, never mind which one it is they're using . :)

I use the Debian-supplied browser (Iceweasel), and I see a few issues now and then. Sometimes they get fixed with vBulletin upgrades and sometimes they get worse.

I gave up bothering about reporting them ages ago because it makes absolutely no difference.

cave_dweller

Nomad
Apr 9, 2010
Vale of Glamorgan
True, OSX is built on BSD/Darwin.

And the Mach kernel - that's important!

Re. the original question, I frequently use Ubuntu and Slackware to browse vbulletin fora with only the odd glitch - mostly I think these are browser specific and nothing to do with the Operating System. I've seen occasional odd behaviour in the inline editor (as seen when using the 'reply with quote' button) which I believe is related to Javascript.

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
Yep, I'm using Ubuntu 11.10 ( Oneiric Ocelot ) with chromium-browser 16.0.912.77, On a Dell dual boot system with Vista, I find it Works quicker[h=1][/h]

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Ah, well. An update. I installed Chrome and am using that instead of chromium and it is fine. I guess the Chromium version packaged with my version of Debian is a little old :rolleyes:

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
October 2010 for Deian 'Squeeze', about par for the course for Debian's stable distribution.

Can't fault Debian :) Yes it's a slow release cycle but so far it feels to me like it works so much more smoothly than when I used Ubuntu. Ubuntu just seemed to be getting slower ans slower, messier and messier... Maybe it's just me? Anyway, I am quite fond of debian :) It just works. Ok, so some bits may be a little outdated now and then, but upgrading them whether from source or from a package is easy enough.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE