Limpets

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yesterday was stormy but today was just fine!

So I went beachcombing.

Im collecting shells for a Victorian seaside project (and finding just how hard getting decent examples can be.)

(I want more cockle and trough shells, -I like the trough shells, -very minimalist in shape I find.)

I have loads of limpet shells.

But they are different.

I have wee rounded ones about 1cm long, -these are blue rayed limpets, yes?

But the big ones vary, -some are big and hummocky and others small, assymetical and flattish.

What are they? My Collins gem `Seashore` isnt much help, -Common limpets and related.

I found a huge one, -Ill take pictures when I clean it up. Its rather badly eroded but its an absolute monster

(I didnt find any real beach finds today, -apart from what I suspect to be an agate, -which if it is is indeed a treasure)

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
As far as I'm aware there are three indigenous limpet species but these are easiest identified by looking at living specimens - eg features like colour of foot and their position on the shore. Much harder to ID just frm a shell. That does not help you much I'm afraid. I suspect the small ones are just young un's that didn't make it. A lot of the variation will be due to 'where the limpet calls home'. They tend to return to the same spot before the tide goes out. How sheltered that site is against the pounding of the incoming tide for instance may determine whether the limpet is flatter or more humped. Don't quote me on that - that's just my interpretation.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
...and delicious too , just cooked in butter , a little chilli peppers, garlic and just a dab of olive oil (to stop butter from burning)

👍

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE